62   0   0
Do like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cman
Apr 1, 2014
Wisconsin
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Who did the coating? How much did it cost?
Looked up "Cerakote" applicators near me but the examples of their work are all small gun components, don't know if any of those guys can bake big parts like a bike frame. I see they sell "air dry" Cerakote too - is it any good?

cman

Dec 4, 2006
Boise,ID
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah, digging that color too.
Burnt Bronze

Who did the coating? How much did it cost?
Looked up "Cerakote" applicators near me but the examples of their work are all small gun components, don't know if any of those guys can bake big parts like a bike frame. I see they sell "air dry" Cerakote too - is it any good?
I got a family discount but companies in town are about $150-200 for frame. This was done out of town. You might call them, cause I have seen on websites and forums where off road (Jeep) and motorcycle guys are doing parts too. I believe that aluminum can also be done. Duracoat has some "home" kit that does not require the bake time. The same relative had done both to some guns and the duracoat looked great.

Sep 4, 2014
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Looks great,I will have to do some research .I wonder what the advantages are over powder coating ? It must be pretty tough stuff if it is used on guns.

cman

Dec 4, 2006
Boise,ID
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks great,I will have to do some research .I wonder what the advantages are over powder coating ? It must be pretty tough stuff if it is used on guns.
Advantages over powder - thin and durable
Disadvantage - thin and more cost. If the frame has pitting, it will show were powder may cover the flaw.

Jul 28, 2009
Geneva Illinois
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's nice! I would like to try this in my oven but I think its a liquid sprayed on then baked at 700 ish degrees might tax my home built setup!

Sep 4, 2014
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Advantages over powder - thin and durable
Disadvantage - thin and more cost. If the frame has pitting, it will show were powder may cover the flaw.
OK,thanks for the info .Maybe someday I will come across the right frame for it.

Jul 30, 2013
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Limited palette, but more colors than I expected to find. Even if not used for a whole frame, probably a good alternative for components. It's rumored to be very tough stuff.

Sep 1, 2006
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've messed with cerakote before. Only on firearms though. As long as the surface is prepped properly it's really durable stuff. I hadn't thought about doing a bike frame, but it wouldn't fit in the oven anyway... I'm not sure I'd choose it over powdercoat for a bicycle frame though. It works perfectly on firearms because it's thin, I think I'd want a little thicker finish on a bike. Now you've got my curiosity on its durability. Make sure you report back after it's been beat up a little bit!