[Central] Ohio Bicycle Swap Meet 2017 -- Sunday, March 19

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's the third year for this thing, so does this officially make it an "annual event"? :bigsmile: It's not all "old bikes" -- the bicycles and parts the past two years have been a mixture of old and new, with an emphasis on "what gearheads of all types are cleaning out of their garages and/or back rooms from their shops."

"There will be two heated buildings at the Franklin County Fairgrounds with over 13,000 sq feet of indoor space as well as a large concrete fenced-in patio between them." If you just want to sell a bike or three, you don't even need to rent "booth space" -- just park it in the "bike corral" between the buildings.

The fairgrounds are in downtown Hilliard, OH, which is in the northwest part of the Columbus metro area. Hosted by the Westerville Bicycle Club. Link to the "official" event site: http://ohiobicycleswapmeet.com/ with a map, registration info if you want booth space, etc.

Link to the RRB thread from last year's event: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/ohio-swap-meet.96895/

I'm not affiliated with the event or the WBC, but I went the past two years and will probably be there again!

I'll be there again, might bring some stuff to sell if it's not sold before hand.

I will try to make it. Is there a good amount of used road bike stuff there? I need some wheels and drive train parts for my Western Flyer hybrid build.

I shared this to the CABE forum also!

There were some road bike parts last year.
My LBS will be there, I'm sure they'll have some road stuff.

Is there a good amount of used road bike stuff there? I need some wheels and drive train parts for my Western Flyer hybrid build.

The past two years there has been a little bit of everything, but if I had to guess I'd say that most of the bikes and parts are a representative sampling of all of the bikes and parts sold over the past 40 or 50 years.

Last year I wrote:
I'd say that most of the stuff there was "used" but less than 25 years old. There were NOT a lot of 50 year old bikes or parts that I saw, though I didn't spend much time in the "used bike corral" either.

There were a handful of older balloon-tire bikes and parts, but for me it was mostly like "the history of bicycling since the mid 1970's, as a 50 year old personally experienced it."

So, yeah. Newer stuff, mostly older than the bikes and parts that show up at the bike co-op, but also generally in better shape.

Since 27" and 700C road bikes, mountain bikes, BMX and hybrids have been the most popular styles since the mid-to-late 1970's, I'm again GUESSING that those probably made up about 70% of the loose parts the past two years.

There weren't quite as many parts from cruisers, muscle bikes, and antique bikes, but there were some loose tanks, vintage chainguards, banana seats, handlebars and stick shifters there, as well as complete bikes of every style.

If someone wanted to rebuild their old '70's road bike or '80's mountain bike from a frame they found there, with all of the correct parts, I would bet they could probably find at least 90% of the right pieces there. If someone wanted to rebuild a bike from the '40's the same way, they MIGHT be able to, but I wouldn't count on it.

I will try to be there. It is the day when I will take my boy back to OSU after the spring brake.
I hope I will find some road bikes there. I don't think I will have anything for sale.

24 hours to go!

I'm looking forward to it again this year -- there aren't really any parts that I can think of that I really NEED, but in years past I've bought stuff that I didn't KNOW I needed until I saw it. :21:

Will be there with some BMX items to pass on to the BMX collectors.

image.jpeg

Did all right this year. Didn't bring as nice stuff this year. FYI, I'm selling off everything I have, so central Ohio dudes hit me up. Getting out of the hobby pretty much. May even sell the truck!

View attachment 48913
Did all right this year. Didn't bring as nice stuff this year. FYI, I'm selling off everything I have, so central Ohio dudes hit me up. Getting out of the hobby pretty much. May even sell the truck!
Right now I'm wishing I had the cash to offer for the truck.
Good luck with your sales.

Follow up? How was the swap meet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A bit chilly and windy, a few good deals to be had. But there was one guy...
You know the one. Had a modern walgoose rear mag wheel with no freewheel attached, wanted something like $50 for it. Not the matching set, not a complete wheel.
Atleast he wasn't try to claim it was a Lester.

Not sure why that stuck in my head.

Another guy drove up in a Mitsubishi Delica, very cool van. 4wd turbo diesel, I want one now.

Latest posts

Back