Cartridge Bottom Bracket For the Beast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built up the BlackBeast for my friend, Danny. As an experiment, I tried out a Tommisea cartridge bottom bracket, and it worked like a charm. With my Vuelta triple crank, the cartridge worked right out of the box. For the old Sugino I actually used on Danny's build, I had to put a freehub spacer behind the drive side, so that the drive side crank would clear the chainstay.

Looks like this would work with an e-type Shimano derailleur, and that would allow for front shifting without the need to make a derailleur adapter.

dan1.jpg

More on my blog: http://grinderswheels.blogspot.com/2013 ... easts.html

Looks great in black!

Did you happen to weigh the old and new bottom brackets? Obviously the new one is stronger and has better seals, and will last longer, but if its lighter too that would be amazing!

I found them online for about $40. Its that about right? Where did you get yours?

Wow, great discovery!
HRJG said:
.. I had to put a freehub spacer behind the drive side, so that the drive side crank would clear the chainstay.
Can someone explain what this means? I don't know where this spacer would go. Maybe a link?

Very happy to see that there is a replacement BB available. This has been a major concern for me.

Blown240: I didn't weigh them, but I think that the cartridge is the heavier of the two.

Bill in Houston: I slipped a spacer from a free hub cogstack (the spacer between cogs) over the drive side cup of the bb, then installed it. This moved the cartridge 3.5 mm to the right. This centered the slightly-shorter than stock spindle, so that I had equal spacing on both sides of the crank.

I forgot to say that the price you found is about what I paid. Got mine directly from the Tommisea website.

ok, i think i know what you are saying. did you happen to measure the length of the old spindle and the new one? thanks! great find!

The original measures 172mm. I neglected to measure the Tommisea version, but I would estimate it at 165mm.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Been a bit under the weather.

Latest posts

Back