BO15 Carcass

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I can't feel my arms, Keizer."
About 90% of the top coat is removed. Now will be sanded. I will probably need a wire brush for the drill or something like that to get to the places around the BB and between the cantis and the top tube, plus the cable leads.
IMG_20200516_142922.jpg

OK, the hard part is done. I don't think I will touch this project anymore today. It was a rewarding feeling that I got to do so much of the frame today. What's left is the head tube and the hard to get places,dropouts, seat clamp...
IMG_20200516_165044.jpg

After this the fork should be an easy and quick task.
On the down side I still haven't found my stem adapter (the stem is 1 1/8") and the bearing cups from the headset.

OK, the hard part is done. I don't think I will touch this project anymore today. It was a rewarding feeling that I got to do so much of the frame today. What's left is the head tube and the hard to get places,dropouts, seat clamp...
View attachment 120837
After this the fork should be an easy and quick task.
On the down side I still haven't found my stem adapter (the stem is 1 1/8") and the bearing cups from the headset.
I still have fenders to do and I had 3 layers of paint then a thin layer of rust , so I feel your pain .

The brushes are not bad, but it takes forever. Might need to order a brush drill bit, but not sure what size and material - they are offered in different configurations, size, thickness I assume, some steel, some brass (?).
I almost didn't touch the frame today. I quickly discovered that the hard to get places are hard to get. Who would have thought???
However I took the Spectro wheel off my daily and then installed a 3sp torpedo wheel without a shifter in my daily so I could still use it.
Oh, I could have called this build Spectrum and do something Aston Martin style.
So I have the wheelset prepared for some cosmetic cleaning, but I found out that I have run out of wd40 and had to call it a day.
IMG_20200517_213251.jpg

I want to clean the rims and spokes, perhaps sand the dust cap and mount the tires and make a clearance test to know whether I will have to remove the brake bridge or not.
I also discovered that the shifter does have a shim where it clamps to the bars, however the other end, the rotating part with the rubber is still 22mm so the shifter fits only 22mm bars.

Last edited:
I ran into some issues. First I discovered that the offset rear cog won't clear chain stays and seat stays. Then I had a lot of fun trying to remove the spring ring from the offset cog...
I finally replaced it with a standard cog.
Unfortunately the incompatibility turned out more than I expected. The tire would not clear the brake bridge or the kickstand mount:
IMG_20200518_203208.jpg

Oops. Cutting them off would probably not be good for the frame? It would probably also mean class 2?
A mock up, the concept, rather:
IMG_20200518_205620.jpg

I say concept because I am not so sure about this frame, it is simply the only one I could use for the build. The rear looks a So I might have a look around for something different.

Love the tires.
A relatively easy solution to your predicament is to make some bolt on rear drop out extensions. Completely within the Class one rules and has been done many times. Off hand, I can't think of a reference build to point you to though.

I cut off the brake bridge. :blush: I will probably try to file away a part of the kick stand to get the needed clearance. After all that sanding I owe that frame a chance :bigsmile:
I am tired of the sanding, should have gone with the paint stripper LOL. I am tired of all this "manual" labor - sanding and hacking. I want to install stuff. Changing to class 2 doesn't really bother me.
The omission of the offset rear sprocket means that the offset chain ring is off the list too. Now what - I have opc in 152mm, 170mm and 175mm... I also have a set of BB30 to BSA adapters... ... I don't have a nice chain ring and I don't have pedals...

I cut off the brake bridge. :blush: I will probably try to file away a part of the kick stand to get the needed clearance. After all that sanding I owe that frame a chance :bigsmile:
I am tired of the sanding, should have gone with the paint stripper LOL. I am tired of all this "manual" labor - sanding and hacking. I want to install stuff. Changing to class 2 doesn't really bother me.
The omission of the offset rear sprocket means that the offset chain ring is off the list too. Now what - I have opc in 152mm, 170mm and 175mm... I also have a set of BB30 to BSA adapters... ... I don't have a nice chain ring and I don't have pedals...
Tell me what chain ring are you thinking about, maybe i can help you to get one :) Pedals are pretty cheap here in Poland too.

OK I had some time this morning and I cut off a part of the kickstand mount as well. I will file away some more material left and right.
IMG_20200519_092903.jpg

Of course I will also have to file the rest of the brake bridge away:
IMG_20200519_092917.jpg

I will need a Moderator to help me and move this thread to the other section if needed.

I say when life gives you lemons you should slice them and put them in your gin tonic, so if filing the rests is easy enough I might also remove the v brake mounts (unless I finally find something I could bolt to them).

Pretty sweet tires!
Maybe you can build some "offset" dropouts to fit that wheel.

And man I love your fork! Where do you find that stuff? Is Germany more "custom" minded than the Netherlands?
Do you visit KustomKultureForever aswel? :rockout: I want to cycle there someday when this virus thing blows over.

"offset dropouts"? Actually I would love to have someone who can weld me horizontal dropouts. I even have a guy who can weld, but he doesn't have a welder :(
I removed some more metal from the kickstand mount and will remove a bit more - to get the wheel in the dropouts I have to release the air every time. I could shorten them a bit since the wheel rests as deep as possible in there.

Anyway, I got it rolling:
IMG_20200519_215600.jpg

As I said there is enough clearance now, I would have smoothen it, but it has gotten late and I don't want to disturb my neighbors:
IMG_20200519_214509.jpg

I will slap a 16t rear sprocket on the hub, to have a decent ratio of approximately 2:1 - I ordered a used 33t bsa crankset. This means I probably solved my pedal problem as well.
This adapter will finally prove useful:
IMG_20200519_220951.jpg

Pretty sweet tires!
Maybe you can build some "offset" dropouts to fit that wheel.

And man I love your fork! Where do you find that stuff? Is Germany more "custom" minded than the Netherlands?
Do you visit KustomKultureForever aswel? :rockout: I want to cycle there someday when this virus thing blows over.
I didn't know about this KKF. The fork is from Classic Cycle, for 28" wheels. It also comes with disk brake mount (ISO), inexplicably on the right side. Here in Germany they go on cruises - a huge group of cyclist on heavily customized cruisers, choppers, stretch sleads, Basmans, Poruchos rides like the biker gangs from the movies. It is quite the view. They tend to be more in the hot rod direction than rat rod.

And there are incredibly talanted builders there as well. This is one of the tret-harley masterpieces:
2b5b6b488923bdd7d2b7471d9aa7b821.jpg
44544cf6987161e4a7eb2f560e8806c9.jpg

Here in Germany they go on cruises - a huge group of cyclist on heavily customized cruisers, choppers, stretch sleads, Basmans, Poruchos rides like the biker gangs from the movies. It is quite the view. They tend to be more in the hot rod direction than rat rod.

They do that here aswel. Beautiful custom cruisers, indeed a bit different than Rat Rod Bikes, but cool nonetheless! I owned and commuted with a Basman a while ago.

At KKF I spotted this thing (not sure if it is this specific one), but at least some modified NSU quickly's. Also bicycles/BMX versions of NSU quickly's, just awesome!
da82527bf780632d9a7c3a3f8fd5ff13.jpg

Can't wait for the next updates on you bike! :rockout:

I just got a whole big box of parts from a friend, including Polish-made pedals from the fifties. If you wan't I can mail them to you :wink1:

I think I got it covered. I have a pair of bear trap type pedals, only with black cages. Those cages need to be sanded. Ok...
I think I won't be using the butterfly nuts on the hubs. They are cool and all, but I am not explicitly looking for a retro look. For the clean look I am after the standard acorn nuts will be perfect.

I found out that the really stubborn spots are very easy to remove with a higher "number" of sandpaper, the spots around the BB and the welds will clean nicely with 240 while 40 through 100 was tedious and fruitless.
IMG_20200521_102814.jpg

Today on the menu is to finish the former kickstand mount, and to start (and if very dedicated to finish) the fork.
I will use the acorn nuts for the hubs, but of course I have misplaced the non drive side nut from the spectro hub. Worst case scenario I have a drive side nuts with the correct thread that I could use, the only issue being they are those with the hole for a pull rod and an acorn nut will match the front wheel nuts.
Sometimes I feel like tiny gnomes come out at night while I sleep and hide random parts.
It might still have a kickstand though, or perhaps a center stand (which is black so more sanding, I am drowning in a pool of tears), we'll see. I have a top piece, like a huge nut spreading across the chain stays, so if there isn't a dedicated mount on a bike you can still mount a stand. The thing is that it would be directly behind the bb so might not be clearing the pedals. Once I install the cranks I will know for sure. A mtb kickstand would be a last resort, but while insanely practical I am the first to admit that it is not very pleasing to the eye.

Last edited:
Wow, that little moped is so sweet. Lovely lines. I would imagine it with a top tube though.
Well, made progress today. A lot.
First of all I saw this on FB:
99123221_2976412065773004_2217684360172142592_o.jpg

I am curious how long will this hold before the bolts snap. Or maybe they won't? What do you think? I would like to extend the swingarm on my fully build (and run double shocks LOL).
As it is now the biggest spots of paint are on the dropouts (and the v-brake bosses).
IMG_20200521_161815.jpg
IMG_20200521_162008.jpg
IMG_20200521_161729.jpg

And I made an effort to give the rest of the kickstand mount a half decent look, also smoothen carefully the edges:
IMG_20200521_161837.jpg
IMG_20200521_161938.jpg

Now I am gonna get to the fork.
hektor.jpg

"And now the leg, huh?" :D

Latest posts

Back