Captain Slow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, this build certainly lived up to it's name. I had everything pretty much ready to go on the first day of the build-off and then it took a six week dive into illness. A 6 day build that took 3 months to complete :)

Still, it was the most fun build that I have done in a long time and I was definitely inspired by all of the other bikes in this years' RRBO#6!

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=40231

Frame: 1950 Schwinn Hornet
Fork: Girvin Vector (first year?) - replaced the dead polymer grommet with a shock spring from my son's old Canadian Tire bike
Wheels: SA Drum brake front and 3 speed coaster rear on 700c Alex DC19 rims
Tires: Schwalbe Delta Cruiser 700 x 35c
Saddle - NOS Wrights W3N

The Gas Pipe Special from a previous RRBO:

2011-05-11193929.jpg

I really liked the look of the old build but damaged knees being too tall for the frame meant that I rarely spent any time riding the bike. I wanted something that had the RR look but was something I would be more comfortable actually using. I answer was to use a much longer seatpost and 700c wheels to get my riding position closer to that of my mountain bike daily rider.

With that in mind, may I present Captain Slow:

Photographed in it's natural environment, the cool cloudless sky at midnight:

P1080524.jpg

P1080519.jpg

Alien lifeforms negate the use of normal head and tail lights:

P1080517.jpg

P1080522.jpg

Luckily I was able the to capture the bike in the daylight after a night of partying:

P1080505.jpg

Oak veneer chain guard:

P1080504.jpg

Note the scars from living a rough life:

P1080499.jpg

P1080492.jpg

P1080497.jpg

P1080494.jpg

P1080503.jpg

P1080500-1.jpg

The sunshine burns my eyes!
P1080487-1.jpg

As usual the quality and innovation of all the bikes was outstanding again this year and congratulations to all those who took part and hopefully completed their bikes!

Cheers, Simon

SIMPLE AND MEAN!! LOVE THE PAINT JOB, SKULL AND FORKS!! LOVE IT!! PEACE

The flames and reversed flames on the forks are cool man. Diggin the bar end lever and tiny shifter too. 8)

herr_rudolf said:
Very sick bike, but that subtle stitched wound-detail has got to be the coolest I have seen in years!!
8)

Ditto. Instant ear to ear grin when I saw that. Nice job!

Latest posts

Back