Cantilever brake question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm redoing this 87 Nishiki with cantilever brakes. The end of the springs hung out like they didn't belong there, but it's been ridden that way for years. The ends are a loop that doesn't hook to anything. Are these the wrong springs or am I doing it wrong? The brand name on the brakes is CS.
DSCI0018 - Copy.JPG

DSCI0013 - Copy.JPG

I dug through my Nishiki thread for pics of the brakes, found two, but they're kinda bad, and they're different than yours, pivot and lever in the opposite direction? Mine say Chang Star on em. Hope you can see something that helps.
IMG_20200629_181420813~2.jpg
IMG_20200620_111347129_HDR.jpg

I dug through my Nishiki thread for pics of the brakes, found two, but they're kinda bad, and they're different than yours, pivot and lever in the opposite direction? Mine say Chang Star on em. Hope you can see something that helps.
View attachment 149741View attachment 149742
Thanks! That's what I needed. It shows the loop hanging off the end just like mine. It works fine that way so that must be the way it's supposed to be. My brake levers are Chang Star and are heavy enough for a motorcycle.
brake handle.JPG

I'm redoing this 87 Nishiki with cantilever brakes. The end of the springs hung out like they didn't belong there, but it's been ridden that way for years. The ends are a loop that doesn't hook to anything. Are these the wrong springs or am I doing it wrong? The brand name on the brakes is CS.
View attachment 149737

View attachment 149738
The spring on this side is correct. They hook around the brake post lock nut.

Latest posts

Back