Can someone tell me the year and model of this frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WBtLGjcl.jpg

AbmLRdel.jpg

1948_schwinn_d97x.jpg

Probably a 49, but can't find a pic. This is a 48 DX model. The first letter needs to be cleaned off to see it for sure. Looks like an "F" as noted above by RustyGold.

did some scrubbing today...found the serial number is F047613
xHq34xxl.jpg

FDvlUX9l.jpg

6bUKB6Kl.jpg

W2mLXRsl.jpg

It indeed appears to be from March 1949
24"
DX?
I've seen elswhere these bikes called "Hornet"

The paint looks great!
Have you tried a wheel to see if it's 24"? The seat tube should measure 16" for a 24" frame. 18" for a 26" frame.
There is no 49 catalog I can find, but in 1950, the 24" boys DX frame like yours is a J30 or a J36. The catalog shows only girls frames in the illustrations of those two so I can't tell if one was a straight bar or not. The 1948 catalog shows it a BO or BOE model as a 24" DX frame.
A 26" DX frame is a D13 model. The Hornet was a straight bar frame, yours is a DX style, the second top bar has a curve in it.

1950_04.jpg

I don't have a wheel yet. I measured about 15 3/4" up the seat post from the top of the bottom bracket. compared chain stay and seat stays to a 20" and a 26" frame and those measurements are in the middle, so I'm pretty sure it's 24" Thanks for the info Wildcat

Latest posts

Back