CALVIN 1987/Sachs 3-speed internal/bare metal/ FINISHED!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, but I was watching this great site about one year... :)

I finally decided to put my bike on this site so here it is...

It's german touring bicycle from 1987, that I bought on Aukro (czech brother of Ebay) for 25 $.
I painted rims to black in winter, yes in winter... Project was stopped until now. But today I made lot of work :)

Before
DSCN6844.jpg

Painted rims
DSCN69382.jpg

Re: CALVIN 1987 build off

Welcome to the RRBBO8
It's always fun watching these late entry lightning round builds. Tons of action packed into a short time.
GET TO BUILDING!!

this is how the frame looks now, week ago I stripped the color and polished it. The whole idea is that the bike won't have color, because I like the actual look of the frame.

DSC_1305.jpg

Today work :

Went on my cruiser to shop (about 15 km trip) and buy sprays. Green Montana can to spray chainwheel and some details.
DSC_1300.jpg

cleaned some chrome parts

DSC_1302.jpg

Restored this nice black leather sadlle, that I bought on internet for 8 $ . I brushed these rusty studs to make them look nice

before
DSC_1299.jpg

after
DSC_1304.jpg

cleaned up front brake
DSC_1314.jpg

well this bolt was soo rusty, but it met iron brush :D

DSC_1301.jpg

I didn't notice that you were from the Czech Republic. Great to add another international competitor to the build off.
My wife and I have been to Prague twice and Cesky-Krumlov once. We really enjoyed ourselves and hope to see more of your country one day.
Nice work with the bare metal frame.

Really? That's great, and what you like most on Prague...You came by plane right? When you were here?
by the way we were in Prague this weekend, I live in Zlin, that's about 300 km away from Prague, nice trip :).

RMan, That's a wheel lock, and it should bring the bike to a pretty quick stop.

TomSkylark96 said:
Really? That's great, and what you like most on Prague...You came by plane right? When you were here?
by the way we were in Prague this weekend, I live in Zlin, that's about 300 km away from Prague, nice trip :).

We were in Prague first back in May 2001 and stayed in the narrowest building in Old Town (The Clementin) only a couple of blocks from the Charles Bridge. We loved it so much we spent Christmas 2011 in the same hotel. Cesky-Krumlov was a magical little walled city that we visited on the same Christmas trip.

well, Today I painted all the parts and the frame.

frame just got clear coat
DSC_1401.jpg

DSC_1402.jpg

DSC_1403.jpg

DSC_1405.jpg

My summer paintshop :D
DSC_1364.jpg

WIN code, it's probably date of manufacture, isn't it? what do you think?
DSC_1404.jpg

Love this sadlle...ready to go :)
DSC_1409.jpg

All parts together
DSC_1406.jpg

DSC_1407.jpg

original chainrig, just painted to green from black... and brushed to chrome the cranks...
DSC_1410.jpg

DSC_1411.jpg

and here it is, try setup, I'm satisfied with the result :)DD yeahh Eagle Radial T/A tires, no I was just testing new white paintmarker to old tire :D)
DSC_1412.jpg

DSC_1413.jpg

brand new 670mm (26,5") wide handlebars, setup with brake and shifter... The matte black looks great with this chrome stuff.. :)
DSC_1415.jpg

Re: CALVIN 1987 *bare metal* build off - 14 new photos

looking good!!! love the natural frame!!!

Troy

:D

Welcome aboard!

Nice work so far ( times a tickin :wink: )

I love the bare metal look!

:mrgreen:

Thanks guys :)

I'm glad you all like the frame... I like it too :D It looks (more in real) like it's from titan tubes, it has some strange tint :D

I'm now waitin for parts that I bought on internet, I hope that tommorow it will come :D

Re: CALVIN 1987 / Sachs 3-speed internal / bare metal

Ok, today a big package arrived :D

- Rubena Cobra 26x1.90 tires (made in Czech Republic)
- seat tubes, for other bikes too
- brake pads
- stem
- pedals
- sticker :D
- and some litlle stuff like nuts and bearings

DSC_1480.jpg

DSC_1490.jpg

DSC_1492.jpg

The last thing I have to do are grips. I will use old vinyl that my Dad give me :). And some chrome rings on sides.

DSC_1493.jpg

DSC_1494.jpg

And this is today progress - 80% finished bike :)

DSC_1498.jpg

new stem
DSC_1500.jpg

and "artist" photo :D

DSC_1501.jpg

CALVIN is finished !!
stickers are put on frame :D, new homemade vinyl grips are mounted...

I made a short test drive and I'm suprised how grip it has when turning, 3-speed gearbox work just fine... coaster brake too

There are some photos of finished bike, some are from Zlin's Svit - that is area where worked Tomas Bata. I used new and old building to take photos, also some graphits on the wall.

DSC_15045.jpg

DSC_15085.jpg

DSC_15145.jpg

DSC_15065.jpg

DSC_1546.jpg

DSC_15115.jpg

DSC_1549.jpg

DSC_1550.jpg

DSC_1551.jpg

DSC_1619.jpg

DSC_1625.jpg

DSC_1626.jpg