building jig

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sure there are other posts on this topic but I thought to share it anyway. I wanted to try and create a jig to help keep everything straight when I am building frames. I know some of the the master "build from scratch" guys advocate using same size tubing and building on a flat surface but since I like the challenge of putting different frames together I needed to figure out another way.

Still in the process of figuring it out. But was hoping I might get some input from every one on a few more pieces I need.
1-bottom bracket holder
2-seat post holder
3- something in the front to also help with the fork rake.

Here are some pics.
Found some 1 1/4 inch perforated tub 3 feet long and welded them together.

Cut a 3rd one in half and added some 1/4" for some more stability and for my mounting bolts. Not super fine tunable but good enough for me.

What it looks like so far:

Here is my seat post holder. As I am posting this thinking I might not have enough clearance side to side. Will see I guess when it comes time to use it. As for now I do have some side to side movement. It also will tilt front to back and go up and down.

Most jigs I have seen use two opposite cones to locate the bottom bracket. If you only ever intend on using the american sized BB, I imagine some stepped washers would work just as well and be a far cheaper option...

Luke.

A jig is meant to hold items in place while fabricating. This is more of a frame and fork stand.
The Shop jig.

I can give you more info if you PM me.

Thanks Ichop. I have seen a lot of different kinds. It is something that will not be used as much as I would like so keeping expenses down. Figured this is not the greatest but since I have been working on the floor so far it has to be a step up. And I can always add to it as money allows.

First test with the jig. Not a full build, just a redesign of a frame that has been sitting up in the rafters because I was not digging it.
It is actually the first bike I started when I first ran across RRB. Had to change the front fork holder to a threaded rod because the original fork holder was going to spin to much because of the single mounting point. But out side of that it worked ok. Some pics.
original part cut out:

New part:

Full frame:

Latest posts

Back