Building headstock, yokes, etc from scratch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something like this
e2f6d98b98c248b448a8e43f6ecd4d86.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Just want to clarify if the decision is to use a bolt through that the bearings MUST be the angular-contact type to handle thrust loads. That's all I can think of. Hopefully someone else can add more.

... If there's room a conventional headset is easiest.
Agree for sure

and N13's idea for one of these < pulling one of these > on either (diagonal) side of a square tube sounds like a winner to me - if the assembly "slips" you can adjust curb height at run-time, (then cut off the top- but your design/measurements are obviously thought out) if it is welded then less tweak-ability (i like to be able to change, but i often build on the fly)

1'' hardware sure takes up space. Appears Karl's going for a narrow plate. Don't see any bar mounting either. Dog bones perhaps?

I envisioned square legs without clamps. Forming 'diamonds' made securing the legs less of hassle, stronger and more appealing imo. The idea was to use something like Jack nuts to mount the square stock from the inside. Low confidence with that method.

Not a fan of square tubing, although when rotated 45 the structure has appeal.
Schwinn Aluminum Z-Force.jpg

Last edited:
Haha diablo. My bad dude lol.

I did first think about rotated but then that would make tube fitting harder so may as well use round and mitre.

My thoughts behind this build were...

I had unlimited box at work to use for free (this has now changed but still like the idea)
I wasn't hugely confident in mitring round tubes
I've not seen any square tube bikes like this
A guy on endless sphere built a square box frame and rear sub frame but with standard forks. I thought why not try to make it all using squared shapes

Haha, my bad Karl!
I am makin' fun of myself, I am bound to wind up doin' the very thing I thought I would not do

I think this will be an awesome build, steel is good, free steel better still (availabilty is still good), and your planning makes me wish I would remember to do some!

Good luck, and i will keep an eye out!

Clamping box tube cleanly is a challenge.

There's the ugly gets the job done.
Vclamp.jpg

This style clamp effectively applies pressure to the corners. Like that... still not pretty enough.

RM-700-2T.jpg

RM-700-3T.jpg

Box legs could be welded like the Murray Fire Cat example. Or at least to the bottom plate with a removable upper that bots into the tops of the legs. That would be simple.

Haha, my bad Karl!
I am makin' fun of myself, I am bound to wind up doin' the very thing I thought I would not do

I think this will be an awesome build, steel is good, free steel better still (availabilty is still good), and your planning makes me wish I would remember to do some!

Good luck, and i will keep an eye out!
Hehe all good my friend.

Clamping box tube cleanly is a challenge.

There's the ugly gets the job done.
View attachment 137939

This style clamp effectively applies pressure to the corners. Like that... still not pretty enough.

View attachment 137940
View attachment 137941

Box legs could be welded like the Murray Fire Cat example. Or at least to the bottom plate with a removable upper that bots into the tops of the legs. That would be simple.
Yeah.

I'm thinking I could hide the clamp within the design of the yoke.

I was originally thinking of steel for yokes but am going to have to make them out of aluminium due to thickness and weight. 10mm thick steel yokes will weigh a tonne

Latest posts

Back