Building headstock, yokes, etc from scratch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

I'm making a chopper style ebike. I've got my initial design I'm just struggling with some of the more specific details.

I plan on having a square headtubeout of 60mm2 box. 5mm thick wall. I'll then machine out a 55mm dia round recess to sit the taper bearings in.

I'm not sure on how best to make the yokes and connect them to the forks as I want the forks to be 40mm x 20mm box too.

Any advice on this would be awesome. I know I've left it a little vague. I'm hoping you guys will have some questions so I can provide more info for you.

I've attached an image of the bike from the front to get an idea.

Thanks in advance karlos
370bdba85f3a7454aaaa89bd5c8eb533.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

A boxed head would be unique. Rather than a conventional large diameter round steering tube, a axle and sealed bearings top/bottom could be implemented. Angled slots on either side could form grooves for the legs to connect. Rotating the legs 45 degrees would look more appealing as well. May need an offset. I try to make a model in Blender.

the last time i did that i had access to a cnc and it was for putting inverted fork legs on a bandit. the 45 degree tubing is what is selling these days. the clamps on most of these "chopper style bicycles really are just a strip of steel with one screw to cinch it up. I like hampea's idea. I am guessing that is a battery box in your frame?

A boxed head would be unique. Rather than a conventional large diameter round steering tube, a axle and sealed bearings top/bottom could be implemented. Angled slots on either side could form grooves for the legs to connect. Rotating the legs 45 degrees would look more appealing as well. May need an offset. I try to make a model in Blender.
Struggling to visualise this. So a drawing would be awesome

the last time i did that i had access to a cnc and it was for putting inverted fork legs on a bandit. the 45 degree tubing is what is selling these days. the clamps on most of these "chopper style bicycles really are just a strip of steel with one screw to cinch it up. I like hampea's idea. I am guessing that is a battery box in your frame?
Yeah. Battery, controller and bms

How would you attach the bottom? Would that weld straight to the fork?

Or compression clamp on the side?

weld everything below that top plate. Yo can put a threaded plate in the top of the fork legs to bolt the top plate down but you really dont need it as long as that lower tree is solid

IMG_20200905_123550.jpg

reallythe simplest way to do that, that top nut holds the plate down on the fork legs and the plate just has male protrusions that slide into the legs

Last edited:
From top view. The top and bottom plates are welded to angle brackets the same length as the head tube. I mention the use of an axle so it could be installed and removed like a hub. some offset may be needed so that you can turn the wheel further during parking maneuvers

diagram.jpg

Latest posts

Back