BUILD OFF 3 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chimichanga said:
37fleetwood said:
I think I'll go back. this is hopefully my newest project.
Scott 8)
DaytonFrm1.jpg

DaytonFrm2.jpg

DaytonFrm3.jpg

here's what it will look like done
3Modelno.jpg
oh man that is a really awesome frame! how much is it worth?

there is the temptation to build this one as a sort of hotrod/custom while I gather the rather expensive parts it needs. :mrgreen:
Scott 8)

that is a stunning frame. makes me wonder why you did not make that upper rear section and weld it onto the build off bike. that is really elligant.

wow, like that frame. its sic. i had to stop building Black Wicked. i have some health problems that has taken me down. hope all it is ,is my thyroid on the blink an nothing more. should find out more tommorow. i am left with very little strenght an my joints an muscils are very sore so can't do much for now. will let ya all know if i have to pull out. yes, i would like to see all who is building to finnish, this would be a big showing. keep building everyone. God Bless

Outlaw 8)

sorry to hear that outlaw and sensor is right i am skipping next year as well for the same "reasons".

well, I think the competition is gonna be really tough!Im noticing Godzilla is lookin kinda plain compared to some of these. I notice there are two main camps to this build, the guys who have gone all out and built beautiful bikes and the other guys like me who went with a much more shall we say crusty look. depending how the voting goes someone goes away with a rather unfair verdict. if it goes to one of the flashy shiny types us crusty guys haven't a chance, if a crusty one gets it some really nice builds have been overlooked. I am glad it is turning out this way it will be fun to see how it goes. if I make the top five or so I will be honored to be in such awsome company, if not it has been great fun anyway. that having been said, if i can't win fairly I'll let Godzilla destroy the competition like 1960's Tokyo and I'll have the only bike in one piece!! :mrgreen:
Scott 8)

Well, look at it this way......I'd rather lose with only 20 bucks invested than with $200!!!! But truthfully the whole point is to come out with a bike that was fun to build and even more fun to own. And that's what I've gotten with mine!

And don't worry, last year I was afraid one of those "fancy" rigs was gonna win, but Karfer's hard-core Rat blew 'em all away in the voting. It really was the most deserving of the title RAT ROD Build-Off Champion! And you are absolutely right, being in the top five this year would be a real honor with all the top-notch rides being kicked out.

no losers here, everyone wins a personalized bike !!! and they all come with bragging rights too in my opinion

i like the mix of the "refurbished" bikes and the "preseved" bikes and some bikes fall into both areas too, besides i dont think any of us know exactly what we're going to do until we start to do it. at least i didnt/dont :lol:

Yeah, this has just been a fun experience for me, and I am just going to be happy coming away with that. And even when I lose to one of the much cooler bikes in the build-off, I will still feel pretty accomplished just being a part of it. My bike was one that I had in my head that I wanted to build for a while, it might have gotten done this summer anyway, but the build-off getting moved up from the fall gave me the motivation to really put some effort into it.

At the end of this, I don't think there will be any disappointed people (except those who just don't finish their bikes ;)).

I agree with JoeyMac... I have noe delusions of my bike winning, but I'm having a lot of fun, and and it definitely made me get my rear in gear to get it done... I can guarantee that this frame would have sat around a lot longer with nothing happening to it than it has by entering the build-off... Plus it's awesome to see all the other FABULOUS builds and lots of amazing ideas. It's awesome to see so many bikes being built specifically for the rider. With all the little things that make them teir own.

i have had a blast this year with this bike. it is a total 180 for me from what i built last year and i would not call it fancy or pretty but it is out there and edgy just like the ratty truck was. but this year i wanted to do something over the top not just for the contest but so that when i give it back to the kid he will have a true one of a kind bike that he could take to a show and it would be a contender. thats it i love all the bikes this year and as always there has been a wide range of them something for each to choose. and what i ment by wont be entering next year i only mean that atleast for sensor and i strange things happen in our personal lives during the build off we are convinced that it is hexed

Is there any way we can turn our bikes into straightbars or is that to drastic of a frame change. One rule is we can modify the frame except cutting off brackets and cutting seatpost.
IF we cant do this, lets change the rules! PLLEEEASSE!

i would say that since the rules state you can weld things to the frame that would be ok. i think they are written like that so that things like raking, stretching are not allowed which in my opinion makes this competition more challenging to be different.

karfer67 said:
i would say that since the rules state you can weld things to the frame that would be ok. i think they are written like that so that things like raking, stretching are not allowed which in my opinion makes this competition more challenging to be different.
I'll probably just not enter the bike just to keep it fair. This a quite the welding modification. It's hard to not wont to chop and rake a bike! Thanks

karfer67 said:
doesnt bother me at all....
and yeah for these i try to keep everything just bolt ons that way everythings fair for everyone that cant weld or doesnt have the equipment to do custom stuff(besides.....everyone who saw the kids build know that i can hack the living heck out of a bike :lol: )

i guess i decided early on to take it the other way and see hoe far i could take it lol. still both bikes are sweet and to the best bike wins. that reminds me i better get off my u know what and get a trophy together for this build off huh?

karfer67 said:
at least for sensor and i strange things happen in our personal lives during the build off we are convinced that it is hexed

He He...maybe you meant the two of you...not the build off. :wink:

dumpster_diver said:
Is there any way we can turn our bikes into straightbars or is that to drastic of a frame change. One rule is we can modify the frame except cutting off brackets and cutting seatpost.
IF we cant do this, lets change the rules! PLLEEEASSE!

Sorry Charley....no rule changes. :wink:

What you are asking to do would be altering the original frame geometry and we all decided up front that we didn't want to allow this.

Also, I've told several people early on who asked about similar modifications that they couldn't do it.

Feel free to build the bike the way you want, just realize it won't be included in the judging.

I know we're a few weeks away from the voting stage, but I was wondering if someone was going to make an index page of all the bikes like in RRBBO2. That page was great, just for the assembly of awesome bike pictures. But I also think it will be impossible to vote without it, just too many great bikes to pick from. I would make the page myself if I was a web designer, but I am not, so I am hoping someone else will step up to the plate. :)

Latest posts

Back