BUILD OFF 3 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question on the Buildoff- will there be a Buildoff-4 after this one? I've got what I think is a cool idea for a bike, but of course haven't even located the frame to start with- so should I rush to try to meet the deadline, or just take my time and figure Buildoff 4 will roll around soon?

JoJo Fuzz said:
I powdercoated my frame myself with the help of a friend who has a shop that normally does buggy frames. Can I enter or should I just post in the bike build forum?

Thanx

builder applied ... id let it in the build off, the rules are mainly to keep it simple, have fun, and give everybody a fair playing field in my opinion. i dont make the rules round here but its a thumbs up from me, we can always have it moved to the regular build threads i suppose if there is a stink

StephenH said:
A question on the Buildoff- will there be a Buildoff-4 after this one? I've got what I think is a cool idea for a bike, but of course haven't even located the frame to start with- so should I rush to try to meet the deadline, or just take my time and figure Buildoff 4 will roll around soon?

I dont see any reason to stop after this one, the previous 2 took place more towards the end of the year, this one got bumped up cause of the better weather conditions for building bikes so 4 would be ..... ?? next summer ?? if this works best for the majority i would assume. we have been having "little sub-build-offs" in between ... usually with a theme like the diamond frame and the kids bike build-offs (whatever the majority agrees on :mrgreen: ) there are plenty of us in the past who didnt quite meet the deadlines in the previous ones, so your bike wont be burned alive or laughed into exile if it doesnt make it in time, you could always post your build in the regular build threads if your sure your wouldnt meet the deadline though.

I'm good with both ideas! bring the bike in and lets finish this build off and have another one in a little bit.
Scott 8)

I may not be able to finish on time. I'm leaving the country for a short while.......I'll post on the bike builds section if I can't make it! Thanx!

you have time to still build a bike and enter. heck the mo the better.

regulators00 said:
you know, you are right.OFF TO Re-Cyclers!

YEAH!! Three, count em, three builders from MASSACHUSETTS! We're catching up to you CALIFORNIA guys. :D

Ok, I wanted to say that this has been the funnest bike to build not to mention the cheapest! (I really haven't spent a penny yet :mrgreen: )
I was looking at the 2nd build off and noticed that about half of the bikes never made it to the finish line! mine is nearing the finish and I want to encourage those who are on the verge of dropping out. don't quit! if you need help let me know I have piles of junk, and always ready to encourage and give advice. if you're losing interest, get with it! just think how cool it will be to ride it at the local car cruise! finally to those who have had heavy personal stuff come up, stand strong. We're pullin for you too!
I would like to propose that we might even try to have regional rides after the build to get together and have fellowship with each other. I would even like to see the bikes from earlier builds there! I might have to talk to bulletproofbikes (Jr.) about having another ride here in so. cal. (hopefully somewhere between his place and mine, hint, hint :mrgreen: )
Scott 8)

I am still on the hunt for a starter bike. my regular place didn't have anything that interested me, the dump was empty,I am going to start asking local farmers if they have anything.

after all the snooty restored high dollar Huffman stuff I am surprised how much I'm liking the look of Godzilla. :mrgreen:
Scott 8)

it does look real nice! just be warned.......you might find that soon youll be doing more of these than the 100 point restos :shock:
just keep doing some.... ive always enjoyed looking at them!

I think I'll go back. this is hopefully my newest project.
Scott 8)
DaytonFrm1.jpg

DaytonFrm2.jpg

DaytonFrm3.jpg

here's what it will look like done
3Modelno.jpg

chimichanga said:
oh man that is a really awesome frame! how much is it worth?
well we're still in negotiations but it is one of around 8-10 known to exist. compare that to the over 500,000 Schwinn Phantoms around. when done it has the potential to be a $10,000 bike.
this is my Firestone version of the same bike. the rear end is slightly different. I would say this one would be worth around $5,000 since there are around 50 or so of them in existence. the rear bars on the Firestone are straight where the Dayton frame is curved.
P1010076.jpg

Scott 8)

Latest posts

Back