build off 14 first try, calling it warbonnett

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I thought I`d try the build off since I`ve always liked seeing what others have done. I am starting with an old girls bike but plan to cut the top tube out and add a straight one in it`s place. I also want to lengthen and widen the the rear for a bigger tire and wheel, I am going to use fat tire bike wheels and fork, build some fiberglass fenders and a fake gas tank, I may put one of those 80cc gas tanks inside with the cap showing for a better look.
PICT1234.JPG
PICT1238.JPG

PICT1251.JPG
PICT1251.JPG
PICT1249.JPG
PICT1248.JPG
Did a little more to the bike today, made the back end longer, I may want to shorten it , I think the fenders I want to make would still work. I put on my fat tires and now see I will have to shorten the head tube in order to get the fork to fit. I sort of like the girls bike tubes so I will leave them alone and add a straight tube above them.
PICT1251.JPG
PICT1249.JPG
PICT1248.JPG

Welcome to the forum and the Build Off. :hi:

I'll be interested in seeing what you do... especially with the fenders. I have a bike based on a 1912 Henderson and want some fenders for it. Can't find any suitable down here in NZ so might have to make some, sort of like the original fenders in your first photo.

I'll be watching...

Glen.

EDIT: forgot to ask... what size wheels and tyres are those?

Hmmm, many of your ideas have rolled around in my head as well. Custom fenders....tank....
Mine won't be stretched, and my tires not as fat, I really like your concept and what you have accomplished so far!

Welcome to the build off and the most fun you can have on the internet! RatRodBikes dot com!
RaT oN~!

Thank you Glenn and Oddjob, those wheels and tires are 26x4, I got the wheels and fork from closeout bicycles on ebay, I also got the tire from a private seller on ebay and painted on the whitewalls, I hope they last a while, tom.

Your build is looking great.

I have been thinking of getting triple tree forks for one of my bikes. I love the look.

These forks do look good, I have been out cutting as much as I can off of the headtube to make them fit, I have yet to try and see if it will be enough. There is just enough room under the fork for the fender I want to make and use, thank you.

I got the headtube cut down and the fork fitting good, cut a tube out of another bike for the top tube, the tank will cover it anyay. I`m thinking of maybe using the yellow tubes I have fron another bike on the back of this one, I don`t know. My chain wouldn`t line up with the sprocket on the pedal crank because of the 4" fat tire and wheel so I put a crank from a multi speed mountain bike on it, the big sprocket lines up close enough that it should work. Nothing is welded yet, I`m still working things out. My helper charlie seems to be ok with the bike.
PICT1273.JPG
PICT1274.JPG
PICT1277.JPG
PICT1278.JPG
PICT1279.JPG
PICT1283.JPG

Not really a fan of stretched bikes but I’m liking the stance of yours. It kind of has a drag bike look. I remember as a teenager making my own whitewalls as well. I used some oil based enamel with a brush. They were a hit with my riding buddies. Good start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank all of you, I want to make some glass fenders, that might make it look shorter, more of a motorcycle look.

...paying close attention....fiberglass fenders...another shared concept on our builds.

Thank you one horsepower, I did some more work on the bike, changed the tubes in back of the seat, added some braces and shortened the back of the bike by 3 inches. My welds look awful but it is solid now, I got a small tank for the top tube which will get covered with a fiberglass tank cover I will make.
PICT1294.JPG
PICT1294.JPG
PICT1298.JPG
PICT1296.JPG
PICT1297.JPG

Latest posts

Back