Brushed metal number plate? Lexan for now.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if I could find something shaped kind of like this in the size for my handlebars? Somehow, that is the inspiration. Edit: I added another.
View attachment 143891
View attachment 143892

As to your question though........thermo forming! Use your bars as the template, add any shape or definition you want, and bada bing, custom formed

You could even mold your numbers in to be 3d if you get the draft angles right on the edges

YMMV

As to your question though........thermo forming! Use your bars as the template, add any shape or definition you want, and bada bing, custom formed

You could even mold your numbers in to be 3d if you get the draft angles right on the edges

YMMV

As we all know, hot rods are never *truly* finished. I may have to try a few different things. Thank you for the idea.

I wonder if I could find something shaped kind of like this in the size for my handlebars? Somehow, that is the inspiration. Edit: I added another.

View attachment 143892
I'm planning on making something like this soon.
I have the template in cardboard, just need to redraw and tighten up the measurements on the computer, then buy the sheet, and get bending.

The plan isn't really for public display yet :bandit: But if you want to see what I'm talking about @bunnyman666 DM me and I'll send you a pic of the design.

YMMV

How sturdy is the end result of this process?

How sturdy is the end result of this process?
Depends on how thick your material is. Thicker material = more vacuum and more heat and less angles

We have 2 plants that do thermo and we do everything from small glovebox inserts up to hoods and roof caps

450AJ-construction-gallery.jpg

Quite a few different body panels and designs for companies

How thick of plastic could I expect to use if I made a box with holes and shop vac in my basement? :bigsmile:

Could I make case sturdy enough to hold a decent sized battery, 3-5lbs, or are we talking Halloween mask thickness do you think?

How thick of plastic could I expect to use if I made a box with holes and shop vac in my basement? :bigsmile:

Could I make case sturdy enough to hold a decent sized battery, 3-5lbs, or are we talking Halloween mask thickness do you think?

I used to make crude bodies for my RC race cars. The regulations had us basically having to have a fresh body for every event, but the skill level was less than awesome (me included). Let’s just say that I made bodies in my basement with a shop vac, pegboard and a frame. The thickness of the lexan was not very thick!

Depends on how thick your material is. Thicker material = more vacuum and more heat and less angles

We have 2 plants that do thermo and we do everything from small glovebox inserts up to hoods and roof caps

View attachment 143907

Quite a few different body panels and designs for companies

4mm thick! 2:11
Think bike tanks are doable?

Anything is possible

But the amount of vacuum is going to be your limitation

Anything is possible

But the amount of vacuum is going to be your limitation

I had a vacuum bagging system that probably could have handled a lot of stuff, but breaking it apart so I could use it on lexan was a no go. Most households probably could, with minimal tools (but high expense) suck down heavier stuff, but it’s expensive.

Latest posts

Back