Breakin' Out A Little Old School MTB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oh, and by the way, that's Mister King Rat to you
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This was my first MTB. A first gen Ground Control. One of the first "full" suspension (Very little travel) Rode the heck out of it. It sat in my basement for years and I finally sold it to my brother in law about 12 years ago and it's been in his garage attic ever since. I originally had the green Michelins and another wheelset, but the tires dry rotted from sitting so long and who knows where the wheels ended up. But it does still have the first gen Girvin fork (with original elastimer) and the "S Works" crank. I stole it back and am giving it a good once over so a friend can catch the MTB bug like I once did on the same bike.

Specialized.jpg

Early suspension mountain bikes are so cool. There was a quite a variety of rear suspension configurations before the advent of the smart shocks like the Brain Shock, Fifth Element, ProPedal, etc. I thought it was a K2 when I saw the Girvin fork.

You can try a google search but you will probably have to get them off ebay. In the latter years, the Girvin fork had a coil sprung shock instead of elastomers. If that shock will retrofit your Girvin, It would be a more long term solution.

it's not full suspension but I still have my 1993 Specialized S-Works M2. Came with factory XTR everything. back then it was still canti brakes and I think it had an S-works branded Rock shock. Cant remember how many wheelsets and components i went through on that bike. The only remaining parts are the orig xtr headset and xtr seatpost. Thinking of putting it back together as a single speed.

Latest posts

Back