Brass Monkey (new-old bars)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Brass Monkey

Alrighty some of you saw this..........

009.jpg

It was a freebie that my buddy Mike gave me a couple of weeks back. I swapped some parts around for a mock up and got this:

011.jpg

012.jpg

Since this I have found another white wall and rusty chrome rim for the front, and I have decided to keep this springer, but will switch it around to stretch the front just a wee bit.

Oh and by the way, I'm gonna buy some apehangers from Hooch just so I can BEAT HIM with his OWN PARTS. If he'll still sell to me after reading that!!!!

Swapped some stuff. Now we're gettin somewhere!!!

100_1123.jpg

And flipped that springer

100_1124.jpg

Now if I can only stop riding it long enough to get it torn apart!

nice work i am a sucker for green like that. cool

Good idea with the springer....question though. Since the original orientation of the springer acted as a "bump stop", how are you going to stop the spring from compressing too much and aloowing the tire to hit the inside of the fork/spring?

Dan

Danimal said:
Good idea with the springer....question though. Since the original orientation of the springer acted as a "bump stop", how are you going to stop the spring from compressing too much and aloowing the tire to hit the inside of the fork/spring?

Dan
Uhhhhh.....there's still a bump stop. It's called "the tire". :D

No actually it hasn't been a problem, the spring is pretty stiff, and the tire is now further away from the fork and springer with the new set-up.

Another great reinterpretation for raking and giving mod space to less "relaxed" riding postures.....NICE already!

.....Ratdom......I have found my home....

Ok finally I can get back on this project. Hit it pretty hard yesterday. Started by stripping the bike down to the frame, then stripping the frame.

016.jpg

While I was at it at some point the seat post had been HAMMERED in. It's not coming out. Especially after I chopped it off!

018.jpg

Whoops. Will deal with that later.

Now let me first say that this whole "faux patina" thing in the hot rod world is stupid. That whole painted on rust thing is retarded. So I'm gonna do a faux patina. :p

But with REAL rust.

I would much rather have a cool old frame with a REAL patina. You know, the kind that Uncle Stretch has comin outta his ears and so he just sands 'em and paints 'em. :( Well this ain't Hooch's back yard so they don't grow on trees 'round here, so I'll just make my own.

1st paint. I know it's kinda a fru-fru color, but trust me on this one. It'll look great later on.

019.jpg

020.jpg

Okay so maybe it is a little too fruitsy. Decided on a little black two-tone sumthin-sumthin to break it up. Then it was time for a trip to the sandblaster.

021.jpg

022.jpg

024.jpg

At this point my secret sauce hadn't aged fully, so I'll get it on with some patina action later.

Decided to start hammerin out a tank. Brass.

026.jpg

This don't look too bad now.

027.jpg

Before and after

030.jpg

Got one half formed and planished, so decided to fit it to the frame.

029.jpg

That's not the final patina on the tank, that'll be in another class! Gonna get back on it tomorrow.

Re: Brass Monkey (update 7-20)

Nice work, man!!!
I like what the switching around of fork parts did for the stretch.
Dying to hear a report about how it rides and handles.
Nice stance!
...and then the killer metal tank work.
Looking goooood.

Starting to look like crap! :wink: ... Looks GREAT!................Nice metal work!

i bow down before you :mrgreen:
that tank is sweet! now when you saw planishing...did you use a power hammer or a planishing hammer?(ive never worked with brass before so...... :? ) gotta say.....im pleasantly surprised with this whole thing!

Latest posts

Back