Bought 3 bikes Rollfast, w flyer and?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okc. A friend was gonna go in on them with me, but backed out. I mostly wanted the red one.

That Snyder built Rollfast fastback bike is cool. Where are you located at? It reminds me of a build a friend did in Oklahoma. That bike is the most desirable of the three. I would value it around 250-350. The red one around 200. and the Emory around 150

Okc. A friend was gonna go in on them with me, but backed out. I mostly wanted the red one.

Cool, those must have come from Jeff then. I knew that Rollfast looked familiar. He always did cool work.

Saw this post, now that I know what to search. Snyder built Hawthorne?
The red bike is a 1940 HP Snyder-built, and likely a Montgomery Ward Hawthorne, (maybe a "Comet"), as indicated earlier posts, and appears to have a Monark chain ring. If the chain ring is replaced, perhaps a Hawthorne style sprocket would be nice. Note the curved down tube on the Snyder-built frame; DP Harris did not introduce the more streamlined frame until 1942. Big-catalog Wards got the new stuff first. The same style continued into the middle 1950's.
Even Schwinn Chicago did build bicycles for Hawthorne Chicago, (a longer time ago).
The DP Harris "H" chain ring was for higher-end Rollfast bikes (at that time); that pre-war frame was called the "Sport Motorbike" and was/is shorter that the "Motorbike" during the semi-streamlined era. The short bike looks more stylish (without a tall seat post), but the red bike may make for a more comfortable ride.
The serial stamping may have a letter before the sequence numbers; I believe "Z" was for 1938.
Some examples of MW Hawthorne sprockets of the ages:
Hawthorne 1.jpg Hawthorne 11.jpg Snowflake 11.jpg
With the right (well wrong) badge and sprocket, a Hawthorne may be re-built as a Rollfast, and vice-versa.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back