Bottom Dollar Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Brand new to this site, as well as custom bike building... I've played around and tinkered with bikes all my life though, used to ride a lowrider that I would buy the "coolest" after market parts for... But I've gotten a little project on my hands now! My girlfriend got me this bike for our anniversary! The guy we got it from said it was a 60's Firestone? And that the springer fork was from the 40's?

Thoughts?

IMGP1883.jpg

IMGP1882.jpg

IMGP1881.jpg

IMGP1880.jpg

this is the pic i found on craigslist for it...
3ne3kc3o55V15T45X1b3c7433bedab29a15a7.jpg

I've already started to make a few changes, first the handlebars, added a light and a bell (safety first!)
More pics to come!

Brian

Here is the first few things I've done to it...

DSCN2259.jpg

Pulled off the ape hangers, threw on a real nice black Masi euro bend handlebar...
Got rid of that hideous flaming eightball sticker decal, the light on the back end is a Portland Design Works - Danger_zone light... love it...

plans - new rims and rubber... its currently a coaster back pedal brake, but I want to make it a caliper braking freewheel singlespeed...
- chop three inches off of each side of the handlebars
- rig up a headlight system (want to go vintage, but may go for something new...)
- kickstand???

I'm pretty much going for a klunker meets a board tracker... Want this to be a really fast bike!
Would love any support / input...

Brian

Great looking bike. Frame does look about that era. I wonder what that tank came off of- it is way cool.

Well,

I've been taking as much apart as I know how / have the tools to... Finding out little things along the way... I'm taking it to a bike mechanic buddy of mine in the next week to get the bars chopped down, and to get the back and front wheels spinning true, with the coaster hub tightened up...

photo2.jpg

get a load of that back end... :wink: here i'm thinking of painting those springs brass...

X-RAY said:
nice bike, but i love the galaxie!
me too! i tried getting him to throw it in as a package deal... but nothing happening there!

cman said:
Great looking bike. Frame does look about that era. I wonder what that tank came off of- it is way cool.
the guy i bought it off of said he found the tank at a swap meet in Seattle, and welded it together to be one piece that can be adjusted an inch higher or lower... pretty trick...

I'm still trying to figure out what year / model it is... any help that way would be appreciate it...

photo3.jpg

That setup with the sweeper bars makes it look lowered very cool. I missed this post but noticed your board name and took a look glad I did.
Gary

chainring looks to be a huffy.... very cool looking bike.
What did you do with the antenna thing on the back... if you dont want it, i'd be interested :D

well, i've been making a few changes here and there...
still saving up for the big changes...
as for now, i replaced the stem with something a little bit more euro inspired to match the handlebars.. picked it up at my LBS for 9 bucks...
gotta love those spring cleaning sales!
new seat, craigslist... its a KHS, and its super comfy...
this front wheel is going to be swapped out for a lighter one, along with a new tire... might get a set so they match, or maybe i'll keep the MTB nobby tire on the back... THOUGHTS???

DSCN2459.jpg

same spring cleaning sale bins, different LBS, got me the 22.2 bmx seatpost, which is SUPER long... gets me the height that I need...

DSCN2460.jpg

still can't find a happy place for that brass bell!

DSCN2461.jpg

and i've got some special plans for this whole area! :D :D :D :D
gonna keep the back steel rim / coaster hub, just gotta repack the bearings in the Bendix... its a bit sluggish...
the crankset and chain are probably gonna be switched with a Redline Flight Crank that I've got a line on here in the city... :wink:

DSCN2462.jpg

and the kickstand? oh, you wait and see...

bomble37 said:
What did you do with the antenna thing on the back... if you dont want it, i'd be interested :D
- never was included in the sale! it never occurred to me until now! hahaha... thanks for reminding me... :oops:

Brian

Well, its been a couple weeks, and i have made a few changes...

DSCN2650.jpg

A trip down to Seattle got me a pair of Continental Travel Contact tires for 30% less then they are up here in Canada... Not bad...

DSCN2644.jpg

Took a hacksaw to the last three inches on both sides of the bars, now it fits straight through the back door... :lol:

I really like the brown low profile cotton bar wrap that I was using before, so I wanted to keep that... I found a pair of white OURY mountain bike grips at a shop down the street, and took a razor blade to the ends. My hands are always in the middle of my bars when I ride, so I figure this is more practical for me...

DSCN2645.jpg

Knog headlight, same white rubber as the grips... Gotta start washing my hands before my ride to work... :)

DSCN2646.jpg

DSCN2647.jpg

Craigslist found me a front rim, a rocky mountain wheel tech hand built rim, shimano xt hub... repacked the bearing, had to go with a presta valve tube, so now my tubes don't match. meh... When I was switching out the tires, I was amazed to find the rear inner tube still said Firestone! Does that mean its an original tube from the 60's??? :shock:

DSCN2648.jpg

Repacked the bearings around the back Bendix hub, and cleaned her up a bit...

DSCN2642.jpg

Hope you all like it as much as I like riding it! I ride 7k to work back 4 days a week now, and I love it...
PS. Thanks for the bell tips "kram", but I'm keeping the bell on the sidelines for now... not hot rod...

Plans in the future???

- Replacing the cranks with a 3 piece, and a new chain... (the one in the photos is a stand-in!)
- Paint job on the tank!
- My kickstand idea... Just you wait... 8)

Latest posts

Back