BOSS ROSS - another Ed Roth tribute

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My build is to be a tribute to Ed Roth, his art and his custom cars. I had originally procured this Ross Apollo with a drag-themed build in mind...
ApolloUno04.jpg

..but cooler heads prevailed, and I looked to Roth's Mysterion for inspiration:
rothmyst.jpg

Then I bought this Big Daddy-penned waterslide decal, and the look of the bike was further cemented in my brain...
BoceTWQBWkKGrHqUH-D8EuFdG078nBLnhlR.jpg

More pics on Sunday... I have a roller derby tournament to attend tomorrow.

Re: Ross-terion

another roth bike, sweet! cant wait to see more. :mrgreen:

Double Nickle said:
hmmmmm :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Two great minds, and but a single "THUNK!"

Looks like we're having our own build-off inside a build-off, huh?

EDIT: First snag/setback achieved. Vintage forged double-clamp stem is a touch too wide for the narrow hi-rise bars, which aren't actually round to begin with. Snapped off a hydrogen-embrittled chrome bolt trying to tighten them down with the clamp caps slightly askew because of the bends. Will get new bolts, and grind outer surface of the caps to clearance for bars - I figure the inside edge surface of the clamps should provide enough force to secure the bars.

All this while I was home to let the dogs out before I return to the roller derby tourney. If my wife only knew... :roll:

yea man i think it will be fun seeing what each other builds...just call it the "Build Inside a build" build off :lol:

dude! you should definitly do that. :lol: :mrgreen:

I've been considering dual-drive, and it may still happen... I've already laced up a rear wheel for the bike, but I could always tear it down and put a different hub in place. This frame could be a real *FINK* to spread the rear on to clear all that... defintely an easier conversion on a roadie or MTB frame. I'll see how it comes out. The brake arm on the hub I'm running now (a Shimano 3CC) picks up the lightening hole theme pretty well. I'll post some more pics later.

NEW CHANGE: Change the name, change the game! I think I'm going to make this build a touch less specific: pull details and inspiration from a few different Roth vehicles. I found some features to incorporate from the Excaliber/Outlaw and the infamous Wishbone.

i wanna see what you pull from the wishbone. :D

stretch said:
i wanna see what you pull from the wishbone. :D
It's a good thing that I had that idea for a custom, Wishbone-inspired fork, because it turns out that the stem I bought for this puppy is actually a 22.2 mm and not a 21.1.
I'll pick up my new front wheel today, but this is the twin of the 1-1/8" rim I used:
BOSSROSS01.jpg

Rear 3CC hub in 20" aluminum rim w/ stainless spokes:
BOSSROSS02.jpg

The Excaliber (later renamed "Outlaw") had a cavalry saber for a shifter. I'm thinking along the same lines:
BOSSROSS04.jpg

..and a quick mock-up shot:
BOSSROSS03.jpg

Bob Ross? Hey, I'm definitely gonna follow this build. A seat of a moped would be cool and fit nice with the frame, basically a fat banana seat.

Bettleguise said:
Bob Ross? Hey, I'm definitely gonna follow this build. A seat of a moped would be cool and fit nice with the frame, basically a fat banana seat.

Funny you should mention that - my boss just offered me a killer little minibike seat - it may yet see use.

Just got home from a week out on the road, and brought some more parts with me:

Picked up my front wheel from Rev106's shop on the way home... sweeeet!
BOSSROSS07.jpg

He laced in this Schwinn six-shooter hub I'd picked up - I dig it.
BOSSROSS06.jpg

From eBay came this super ginchy doo-wop seatpost clamper:
BOSSROSS08.jpg

And my buddy Ed sent along this cool old cheater slick, which I'll use as a "rider" until she's ready to break down for paint.
BOSSROSS09.jpg

BOSSROSS05.jpg

looks like your gathering some good lookin parts! :D

Latest posts

Back