Born Again Hawthorne - A Rider it is

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work! You have really gotten the hang of this 'return to rust' style of build. :thumbsup:
I put the lights back together today, forgot to take photos. Thanks OJ.
I found out the brake isn't locking up. I guess I got grease on the brake discs in lieu of oil. Now I get to take the hub apart again, fun stuff. These old bikes can be a pain at times even when they aren't complete rust buckets.
man nice project
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I took the rear hub apart again after getting the wheel off the bike. You have to take the drop stand off to get the axle through the dropouts. I doubt if too many flats were changed on the road.
The brake clutch release spring was bent. I tried to straighten it, finally decided to take it to our local go to bike shop to see if they might have a replacement part. I decided to leave it with Alan at Tom Sawyer Bicycle Shop. He got it operating again. Now I just have to get it back on the frame and buttoned up. Test ride coming up.
I got an old looking vintage tool bag for it, not sure where to mount it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spent some time putting the rear wheel back on, making some adjustments, checked tightness of nuts and went for a shake down cruise. Rather amazing that kids rode these things especially in the dirt. It is heavy and a little high geared. The street I live on slopes pretty good, down was good up a bit of a workout, level great. Saddle held up OK, smooth roller with a working brake.
I'm probably done unless I'd find some cool vintage accessories, the initial goal was to resurrect it and I think I've pretty much done that. Need to find a photo background and good light.
9fd000599ea31be9472079cb57518fb7.jpg

a6ad15ac9c0f9863d9823c65fd9b48e4.jpg

4aa7935544012c10985375234b0cbc96.jpg

144e060b8ec8706212d89e7646a4e722.jpg

8fd7eecfce194b88da3965641b018064.jpg

4ae7ca5a87bd266928de59eaa0da36d5.jpg

1128e7dd838cd5eb2f374099bc630118.jpg
ad85f322fd24fb4fb8b7d40f19a0cf5c.jpg

b35cbc6149e0e73b3695ea74be5fe5a9.jpg

Beautiful resurrection!
Mission accomplished exceedingly well man!

That seat, rack tail light, overall saving of the rat-tina; make this bike an eye catcher for sure. :nod:

Ed, how do the tires ride? I am considering a set for my Dyno Glide. Look like they would roll smoother than the Revolution tires you put on your KK. Do they look as fat? Just more rounded...
Awesome clean up on the bike BTW!

Ed, how do the tires ride? I am considering a set for my Dyno Glide. Look like they would roll smoother than the Revolution tires you put on your KK. Do they look as fat? Just more rounded...
Awesome clean up on the bike BTW!
The Sandy Beach block tread tires rode smoothly for the 6 blocks or so this morning. They measure out at around 2.30" wide. They fill out the fenders on the old Hawthorne.
The Revolution diamond tread tread tires measure out right at 2.50" wide. They ride well on KK. I like the look. I have 3.00" BOA-G's on the Dyno Glide BO bike I did a few years back. They still have clearance.
There is probably more surface contact with the Revolutions. Electra bikes have a similar pattern tread in black or cream, 2.30" wide.

Last edited:
Beautiful resurrection!
Mission accomplished exceedingly well man!
Thanks KF. I forgot about the steering knob, may have to put it back on too honor the previous owner.
Oh, how does Borat say it...
Thatsa verdy nice.
Thanks, I guess. Too much political innuendo stuff showing up in posts lately. This forum is an escape outlet for me.
That seat, rack tail light, overall saving of the rat-tina; make this bike an eye catcher for sure. :nod:
Thanks, I noticed I have two replacement bolts that are new shiny. I lost one original in the landscape. The other one fit better. Both on the rack, not to noticeable though. Glad you appreciate the OG look.

Not trying to be political, couldn't care less about politics, politicians, or movements. Just think dude has a funny accent and trying to type it in english.

Love survivors, nothing beats them in my book that's probably why most my collection are survivor bikes :D.

PTL, that's a (heaven) of a bike.
"Praise the Lord", thanks, I guess I can't take it with me though.
Not trying to be political, couldn't care less about politics, politicians, or movements. Just think dude has a funny accent and trying to type it in english.
I think more of us need to care actually, might have less drama out there. I used to watch the cartoons.
Really nice! The patina is perfect. Just the right amount of wear, rust and 'brought back to life' shine. Well done!
Thank you sir. It has aged well. Never had an old one that didn't need painting.
Love survivors, nothing beats them in my book that's probably why most my collection are survivor bikes :D.
Yes it survived pretty well considering it was a farm bike. It was certainly kept well lubricated. I'll probably keep looking for another jewel, can't afford the ones already found.

As it sits now...it's alive again, reborn!
b1027e1ef11cb49a929579ecd553b54d.jpg
baa847af3a4dfd395dce1051076e2928.jpg

Hawthorne Bike SOLD at 9th Annual Midwest Swap Meet today. Always sad to see them go.

Latest posts

Back