Born Again Hawthorne - A Rider it is

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 12 BUILD JOURNALS' started by MazdaFlyer, May 1, 2017.

1. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

I put the lights back together today, forgot to take photos. Thanks OJ.
    I found out the brake isn't locking up. I guess I got grease on the brake discs in lieu of oil. Now I get to take the hub apart again, fun stuff. These old bikes can be a pain at times even when they aren't complete rust buckets.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

I took the rear hub apart again after getting the wheel off the bike. You have to take the drop stand off to get the axle through the dropouts. I doubt if too many flats were changed on the road.
    The brake clutch release spring was bent. I tried to straighten it, finally decided to take it to our local go to bike shop to see if they might have a replacement part. I decided to leave it with Alan at Tom Sawyer Bicycle Shop. He got it operating again. Now I just have to get it back on the frame and buttoned up. Test ride coming up.
    I got an old looking vintage tool bag for it, not sure where to mount it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

I spent some time putting the rear wheel back on, making some adjustments, checked tightness of nuts and went for a shake down cruise. Rather amazing that kids rode these things especially in the dirt. It is heavy and a little high geared. The street I live on slopes pretty good, down was good up a bit of a workout, level great. Saddle held up OK, smooth roller with a working brake.
    I'm probably done unless I'd find some cool vintage accessories, the initial goal was to resurrect it and I think I've pretty much done that. Need to find a photo background and good light.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

Beautiful resurrection!
    Mission accomplished exceedingly well man!

MazdaFlyer likes this.
  5. Falstaff

Falstaff

Oh, how does Borat say it...

Thatsa verdy nice.

MazdaFlyer likes this.
  6. OddJob

OddJob

That seat, rack tail light, overall saving of the rat-tina; make this bike an eye catcher for sure. :nod:

MazdaFlyer likes this.
  7. rrtbike

rrtbike

Ed, how do the tires ride? I am considering a set for my Dyno Glide. Look like they would roll smoother than the Revolution tires you put on your KK. Do they look as fat? Just more rounded...
    Awesome clean up on the bike BTW!

MazdaFlyer likes this.
  8. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

The Sandy Beach block tread tires rode smoothly for the 6 blocks or so this morning. They measure out at around 2.30" wide. They fill out the fenders on the old Hawthorne.
    The Revolution diamond tread tread tires measure out right at 2.50" wide. They ride well on KK. I like the look. I have 3.00" BOA-G's on the Dyno Glide BO bike I did a few years back. They still have clearance.
    There is probably more surface contact with the Revolutions. Electra bikes have a similar pattern tread in black or cream, 2.30" wide.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    RustyGold and rrtbike like this.
  9. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

Thanks KF. I forgot about the steering knob, may have to put it back on too honor the previous owner.
    Thanks, I guess. Too much political innuendo stuff showing up in posts lately. This forum is an escape outlet for me.
    Thanks, I noticed I have two replacement bolts that are new shiny. I lost one original in the landscape. The other one fit better. Both on the rack, not to noticeable though. Glad you appreciate the OG look.

10. sdframe

sdframe

PTL, that's a (heaven) of a bike.

MazdaFlyer likes this.
  11. Falstaff

Falstaff

Not trying to be political, couldn't care less about politics, politicians, or movements. Just think dude has a funny accent and trying to type it in english.

MazdaFlyer likes this.
  12. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster) Pro Member

Really nice! The patina is perfect. Just the right amount of wear, rust and 'brought back to life' shine. Well done!

OddJob, Jake Sensi and MazdaFlyer like this.
  13. Scribble

Scribble

Love survivors, nothing beats them in my book that's probably why most my collection are survivor bikes :D.

MazdaFlyer likes this.
  14. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

"Praise the Lord", thanks, I guess I can't take it with me though.
    I think more of us need to care actually, might have less drama out there. I used to watch the cartoons.
    Thank you sir. It has aged well. Never had an old one that didn't need painting.
    Yes it survived pretty well considering it was a farm bike. It was certainly kept well lubricated. I'll probably keep looking for another jewel, can't afford the ones already found.

Scribble likes this.
  15. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

As it sits now...it's alive again, reborn!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

Hawthorne Bike SOLD at 9th Annual Midwest Swap Meet today. Always sad to see them go.

RustyGold likes this.