Born Again Hawthorne - A Rider it is

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like those GoodYears on there.

I like the all black appearance and the simple logo, wish they were a bit wider. The back wheel is going to be more rusty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I quickly went over some parts with WD-40 and 0000 steel wool this morning. Some color showing along with remaining patina. Frame an fork are next. Trying not to use any new shiny parts on this one.
e2540de8ade463d35ec68d6d1a934797.jpg
52e2837af6d74c5375c3dd06b5f04494.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good a2.3 tire would be nice
Hard to find them without reflective strips and graphics.
Electra Bikes has black and cream ones without lettering.

That true check out cheng shin tires usual alway black

Yah, they would have the Goodyear tread pattern also. The rear tire on the bike is a Goodyear.
3c17bd7d7d336a86c6c5337423b8fae4.jpg

Another reason I want to use the Goodyear branded tire relates the rear tire as found is a Goodyear tire.
5675d91368f04faf079d4b02bc06754a.jpg

It has the Goodyear tread pattern along with a big gash in the tread. You can see the remnants of adhesive where the owner had wrapped tape around the tire and rim as a piece meal patch. My guess would be that the gash was probably signaled the end to the bikes useful life and went to storage or set in the weather for period of time. If it could only talk...the stories it could tell.
842900a5126570f4fcbb09ad66d5ad19.jpg
5a1f3774dc4953b3ce5da5b7b5963e82.jpg
dd65d200e9ad6d06d7e774d89b3ced05.jpg
Tape evidence and New Departure Model D hub coated with grease muck, should be one shiny part on bike after all.

Anyone have experience with boiled linseed oil as a sealer? I remember using it high school shop to seal a cutting board and I've used it on some old furniture.
I remember reading about builders using it to "seal in rust" to slow down its return.

You'll want to clean the parts to be coated with dawn and water, rinse clean and dry.

If there's any flaky rust remove it before cleaning.

Then apply a thin coat of oil with a clean,lint free cloth. To thick and it tacks up. ( like a new brake rotor)

Dispose of the rag properly after, apparently it can spontaneously combust. I soak them in water, then drop them in a metal bucket away from the garage.

Generally, a recoat is about once a year.

My experience with it on Mesa Buggie was that wherever the frame was just rust, with no paint covering it at all, it darkened the rust when I applied it. I wasn't super happy with the look. I ended up clearing the whole frame to even out the appearance between the patina painted sections and the pure rust sections. It worked out in the end, but I would try it on a small portion (backside of a fender?) that won't be seen to be sure it's what you want.

Anyone have experience with boiled linseed oil as a sealer? I remember using it high school shop to seal a cutting board and I've used it on some old furniture.
I remember reading about builders using it to "seal in rust" to slow down its return.

I've personally never tried it . I know I've herd guys using it on here before. I think they say it helps to revive some paint also .
My last build I sprayed it with satin clear finish . I really liked the look , not very shiny at all . It help the color to pop a little bit and of course sealed it .

My pedal blocks came today. The old Torrington pedal bones should work with some lubrication and cleaning. Mockup below.
547df2498a44519bdc5005d3cda08fd4.jpg

I would've never guessed the fenders would have come out that nice. This bike will have the perfect patina.

Pedals look good with the rusty frames and new blocks!

Should be in keeping with the rest of the perceived final look. I had a black set but decide the red would help set off the OG paint on bike. [emoji106]

I spent some time with the wool and WD-40 today. Seems like a decent result. I probably took off some dart color and pins though, need to treat them like a lady. The red is till there but with a combination of fading, rust and dings leaves the finish erratic. But I have to keep in mind that it is about 7 years older than I am. The area around the bottom bracket is almost like new paint wise as it was coated with grease and accumulated dirt.
c9ab407787101dc3b6b27d9b49695324.jpg
1ecc645c3b0dfdf3340239341aef3aa7.jpg
78e5186b9d04c416d95966fdb35b1714.jpg
5ef19589af9eb8d4727691ed333705b4.jpg
b923ff5c72c0e625a9b351715ec00cd3.jpg

Crank came out easily. Ye ole front fender needs some dent massaging. The rear wheel will be the biggest challenge, lots of muck and rust.
e9b635bcf91be4ae0b2fa5f42abf598f.jpg

Boild linseed oil is fastastic, I highly recommend it. I've used both clear coat and linseed oil, and I'm far more impressed with the oil as a rust blocker. And it revives old paint like nothing else.
Here is my 41 Colson before WD-40 and 0000 grit steel wool treament, followed up with the oil.
Screenshot_2017-02-16-13-39-47.png

And here's after.
40691_b0e9033bc87c2d045e4dc3c7562b399a.jpg

My Colson is like yours, a original paint survivor.

Ed, you bike is looking good. With your approach to this build, you will have the perfect 'vintage clean' build. Original patina, highlighted with a couple of new parts and a refurbishing of the old. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back