boardtrack racer datona style"ROOTBEER FLOAT"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one I am new to this site and just wanted to share my most recent build that I'm working on to unveil at Sacramentos 2012 Cyclefest. This will be a board track inspired build with a twist and is not a replica of any other style but of my own design. It will have a little bit of rat style like if someone found a late 1900 motorcycle/boardtrack racer in the 60's n 70's and did it up to be a showrod/hotrod. Pictures will be added little by little as I get further into the build.

IMG_6013.JPG

IMG_6016.JPG

IMG_6015.JPG

IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6018.JPG

IMG_6020.JPG

IMG_6022.JPG

IMG_6028.JPG

IMG_6029.JPG

IMG_6030.JPG

IMG_6031.JPG

IMG_6032.JPG

IMG_6034.JPG

alright on the bottom part of the frame the engine plates bolt on wit 3/8 bolts to keep the frame from crushing i welded in sum small tubing as a sleeve
IMG_6035.JPG

IMG_6042.JPG

IMG_6043.JPG

IMG_6045.JPG

IMG_6046.JPG

IMG_6048.JPG

IMG_6051.JPG

im glad your interested outlaw.

ok so here is the frame caps (freeze plugs i bought at work for like 30 cents a peice) that i will weld on the the ends of the frame to cap it they are dome shape as well so it will look cool too. They are galvanized so i will grind the edges clean before welding also theese plugs are 1 1/4 the same size of the tubing so for 60 cents it fits perfect and saves me time.
IMG_6058.JPG

this is the frame gusset for the head tube
IMG_6060.JPG

and working on the rear drop outs still gota fab the built in chain tensioner
IMG_6064.JPG

IMG_6081.JPG

this is an interesting build, I like it so far. did you cut the tube then put your drops in the slots or just cut the drops. I like to slot the tubes an put whatever in then weld. either way, looks good. you sure ya never did this before. ya do nice work. still watchin.

Outlaw 8)

thanks muller and stretch. actually i cut two slots into the drop out instead of cuttin out the whole chunk out of the drop out and slid the tube over that made it really strong that way and could of rode it wit out the drop outs bein welded.kinda had to press them on lol really tight fit.oh and this is my first frame build ive made alot of stuff but not a frame so i said why not,so this will be the first to many im alredy thinkin of the next one for my wife.Thanks for lookin

well i almost got the frame all welded up just a few more seams to seal and straight as a arrow not to shabby wit out a jig but the level,protractor and angle finder were my best freinds for a few days .i think after i finish this one i might start a frame jig ,might make tings alot more easy for future frames.well here it is enjoy now i gota finish the forks and tank!
1121011218.jpg

yes its flux core wire and ugly but penetrates really well till i get a new bottle for sheilding gas but wont really matter cause i will be molding the welds with body filler to give the frame a real smooth and seamless look
img6158.jpg

really nice. thats even a better idea how ya did the dropouts. will have to try that one. thanks.

Outlaw 8)

ok here is the begining of the tank although this bike will be ridden the tank will be functional if i ever want to mount a motor.the tank is half way done but this is the only picture i have at this time sorry i will update as soon as i can
IMG_6052.JPG

well this is the bottom of the frame where the engine plates bolt to and where the freeze plugs came in handy got them tacked just got to weld and blend them now!
img6172lv.jpg

Do you mind sharing how you did those bends? As a garage enthusiast myself that is one of the next tools I am looking to aquire. Without doing a smokey bleach burnout on my wallet. :lol:

well i used a torch and the vise to two do the real tight bends bending two tubes at one time to get them symmetrical and sum were bent by hand aroung home made jigs and the rolling bends were done in a press moving the tube a inch at a time till i got the shape and radious i wanted .i have a hydraulic tubing bender but i wanted to do this project more by hand a lil old skool.

well after the holidays and sum familly issues im finally able to get back to work on this ,so as of now im working to get the leaf spring fork completed after that mounting the seat with sum kind of adjustment system as there is no seat post like most bikes then it will be ridealbe :D
777fl.jpg

Latest posts

Back