Board Ratter (Rusty)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first rat build. So let me know what you think!

I bought the bike off this crazy old guy a few blocks over. He told me it was a 41' Schwinn DX and he had had it for many years. I bought it because I loved the solid coat of rust on it. It hasn't eaten through any thing, and the two tone paint is faintly still visible. It just looked like it had a lot of potential.

Re: Prewar Schwinn DX (Rusty)

Usually first posts are put in the Intros, but I'm not that picky about it. I am also a Prewar DX Fan, so welcome to the site. Good luck with your build. Post some pics whenever you can. 8) :shock:

Bluemustang21 said:
Hey guys, this is my first rat build. So let me know what you think!

I bought the bike off this crazy old guy a few blocks over. He told me it was a 41' Schwinn DX and he had had it for many years. I bought it because I loved the solid coat of rust on it. It hasn't eaten through any thing, and the two tone paint is faintly still visible. It just looked like it had a lot of potential.

This is how it was when I bought it. The tires held air and I rode her home.

photo2copy_zpsd9ecdcd6.jpg

photo1copy4_zpse8a87b31.jpg

photo8_zpsd671adcf.jpg

I went through it all degreased, and regreased. It rides like new, super comfortable. I was able to find some new pedals, a stem, tires, and a monark fork at a swap meet.

photo6_zps82e59596.jpg

photo7_zpsa7a96f9c.jpg

photo1_zps911362f4.jpg

photo5_zpse71c46e1.jpg

I picked up a leather hide and wrapped the seat and bars.

photo2_zps06e2e494.jpg

photo3_zps7b00a92b.jpg

photo1copy2_zpsce662861.jpg

photo1copy3_zpsc16bcd27.jpg

photo1copy_zps4a47c684.jpg

Welome to RRB adn BO8.
You are working pretty fast on this one.
Good luck.

Yea I'm surprised how quickly all this is going. This is my first old bike, and it's crazy how simple it all is. This type of build is great because I'm able to ride it as I work on it. it's nice to be able to reassemble the bike quickly to get a visual on whats working and what isn't.

deven_science said:
Hmm. The frame I'm using is also a '41 Schwinn DX, or so I was told. I see very distinct differences in both the rear drops, and where the seat stays meet the seat tube. Now I don't know what I have.

Do you have any photos? It could be I'm wrong. but it looks to me to be the same as the stuff I've found online.

The frame looks to be post-war, 1946-48, if I had to guess. Is the kickstand tapered at the end?

I am a big fan of this bike and what you have done with it so far. 8)

BlueMus,
Your bike is later than '41. Can you post the serial number? We might be able to determine what year it really is. You have Postwar rear dropouts.

Bluemustang21 said:
deven_science said:
Hmm. The frame I'm using is also a '41 Schwinn DX, or so I was told. I see very distinct differences in both the rear drops, and where the seat stays meet the seat tube. Now I don't know what I have.

Do you have any photos? It could be I'm wrong. but it looks to me to be the same as the stuff I've found online.

Deven,
I'm sure yours is a '41.

deven_science said:

Yea Guys, like I said this info was based off what I was told, but I know that this frame style was used for a while.

So the Serial is B901601

Any help or input to what this bike actually is would be very helpful. Thanks everybody!

Re: Schwinn DX (Rusty)

I thought you had bells hanging off your handlebars for a minute, which gave me strange ideas. I like where you are going with this one!

Is it possible what you're seeing as B901601 could be E901601? Actually, can you check that serial # again,as I see no numbers starting at 9XXXXX
Bluemustang21 said:
Yea Guys, like I said this info was based off what I was told, but I know that this frame style was used for a while.

So the Serial is B901601

Any help or input to what this bike actually is would be very helpful. Thanks everybody!

Re: Schwinn DX (Rusty)

I haven't been able to figure out when the B's were made. The only thing I read was that some letters were thrown in time to time. How ever I do see what you're saying about the rear drop outs. It would have to be just after the war. Either way I am still lovin it.

image_zpscc77cb08.jpg

I bumped the contrast up on the image to try to make it a bit more legible.

RatSphinx said:
Is it possible what you're seeing as B901601 could be E901601? Actually, can you check that serial # again,as I see no numbers starting at 9XXXXX
Bluemustang21 said:

So the Serial is B901601

Latest posts

Back