BMX build off inspiration pics. Post yours too.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, good question. The intent? The overall "downhilley-ness?
Follow up question:
What is the difference between an 80s/90s mountain bike and a gravel bike?
The era it was built?

One theory I saw was that modern mountain bikes are too good. So that most trails people actually ride kinda boring. A gravel bike that has a lot of similarities to a mountain bike from 20-30 years ago makes them exciting again.

One theory I saw was that modern mountain bikes are too good. So that most trails people actually ride kinda boring. A gravel bike that has a lot of similarities to a mountain bike from 20-30 years ago makes them exciting again.

I equate the same idea to perfectly groomed mountain bike trail. The idea of chopping out every root just doesn't sit well with me.

I don't have a bunch of tech trail near me in the low country and I have really started to embrace the gravel grind. I see the appeal

The irony of mountain biking is that the bikes have become more capable, and the trails have been tamed. That's why I like the retro steel, the trails around me don't need 130mm+ travel. Even rear suspension is overkill most of the time

What's the difference between a 6 speed, 26", bmx cruiser and a 80s/90s mountain bike?
Bikes like this and the Boss Cruiser, or even a King Sting are really more strandie than BMX cruiser as they aren't really meant to be, or emulate, a race bike...just for cruisin' in BMX style :thumbsup:.

Compare the '80-82 King Sting (BMX Cruiser) to the '82-'84 Sidewinder (BMX Cruiser/ATB) to the '83 Sierra (ATB) to the '84 Sierra (MTB) to get a rapid fire evolution on very similar bikes from the same manufacturer.

Last edited:
I never liked full suspension. But 80s was so odd. lots of bicycles in the early to mid 80s kinda genre bending. Yeah, this is General is definately a strandie.

A true BMX will have horizontal rear drop outs and straight front forks.

An MTB generally has a more slack head tube, cruiser type dropouts and originally had gearing.
Most good MTB of this era also had brake bosses, where the BMX had U brakes for a few more years.

I feel the acid test between a bmx cruiser and commuter/hybrid bike with pretensions should be if you can ride it down a flight of steps with no ill effects to the bike or yourself.

I feel the acid test between a bmx cruiser and commuter/hybrid bike with pretensions should be if you can ride it down a flight of steps with no ill effects to the bike or yourself.
Lol maybe not the "no ill effects to ... yourself" part. Hold my beer whilst I demonstrate. But I agree with the rest.

Lol maybe not the "no ill effects to ... yourself" part. Hold my beer whilst I demonstrate. But I agree with the rest.
Bike should be nimble and controllable enough that a person of average fitness and coordination can ride down the steps out the front of a museum or town hall 9 out of 10 times.

My first ride on the RockRat was down a flight of stairs at the neighborhood church where I was skateboarding. My opinion on mountain bikes was instantly formed.:grin:
Also gripe-shift:envy:

Browning 2 speed.
post-5258-1262395092.jpg

browning-15d9a2180cb.jpg

browning-trans-0025d9a2198d3.jpg
browning+51357026353.jpg

post-1103-0-57112600-1429904873.jpg

browning+31357026309.jpg

In the prehistoric days of BMX, Russ Okawa developed a two speed bmx hub from sturmey three speed hubs that 'dominated' early on... until they went to a track where they had banned all multi speeds. I've seen an advertisement for it, from Canoga Schwinn I believe, but can't find it now.

In the prehistoric days of BMX, Russ Okawa developed a two speed bmx hub from sturmey three speed hubs that 'dominated' early on... until they went to a track where they had banned all multi speeds. I've seen an advertisement for it, from Canoga Schwinn I believe, but can't find it now.
Like Russ Okawa from Sachs? That's cool, didn't know that nugget of knowledge

Eventually Sachs, but he started as repair guy at Canoga Cyclery while going to college. Saw what the kids were trying to do with their Sting Rays and decided to help out. Started a store sponsored BMX team that in short time became the first factory sponsored team when Schwinn took it over. During those early times at Canoga, it developed the rep of selling the most parts...and also the rep of most warranty frame replacements :grin:.

Like Russ Okawa from Sachs? That's cool, didn't know that nugget of knowledge
If you didn't know his bmx pioneer (hall of famer) history, you may not know he was also a photographer (what he went to college for). He was a mentor of Mel Stoutsenberger... early bmx racer and photographer. Mel moved on to MX photography when he kinda felt pushed out of BMX due to age (18).

If you didn't know his bmx pioneer (hall of famer) history, you may not know he was also a photographer (what he went to college for). He was a mentor of Mel Stoutsenberger... early bmx racer and photographer. Mel moved on to MX photography when he kinda felt pushed out of BMX due to age (18).
I have a friend that used to work for Tsubaki and DID and knew him from I believe KMC. That's how I learned who he was, then we made more of the historical connection

Latest posts

Back