ELGIN TWIN 9

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it. Had a blue flame 235 straight six in a 55 chevy a few years back. Low horsepower but full of torque and sound great with some loud pipes. Love the theme and the look so far !

Day 2 and I am not really satisfied with the aesthetics of the bike. The fork seems too long compared to the frame length. But I like the frame/tank/wheels/tires and color combo. I might put a Krate springer on it and some drop bars on it to see if that works. But that fat tire might not fit in a Krate springer. Back to the drawing board. That's why I do mock-ups.

The stance is awesome! Every one of your slammed bikes have a great rat rod attitude!

I couldn't resist trying your tank in a different position to to satisfy my curiosity. I really like it the way you have it so don't misread my intentions, just wanted to see an idea that popped into my head.
bigtim.jpg

Another experiment: I thought that I would try a more traditional springer mounting style to see if I could bring that 26" fork more into proportion with that 24" frame. I used an unusual springer steering tube that offsets the lower arm mounting point further forward (which keeps the fork somewhat laid out). Unfortunately, now it just looks like every other bike with a bent springer, but the proportions are a little better. Of course, I'm still not satisfied, but I am cursed with being my own worst critic. Obviously, many more experiments are going to be necessary.

DSCN1765 (2).JPG
DSCN1764 (2).JPG

Another experiment: I thought that I would try a more traditional springer mounting style to see if I could bring that 26" fork more into proportion with that 24" frame. I used an unusual springer steering tube that offsets the lower arm mounting point further forward (which keeps the fork somewhat laid out). Unfortunately, now it just looks like every other bike with a bent springer, but the proportions are a little better. Of course, I'm still not satisfied, but I am cursed with being my own worst critic. Obviously, many more experiments are going to be necessary.

View attachment 158147View attachment 158148
So nice and clean

Here are some close-ups of the unusual springer steering tube with the offset bottom mounting points. Notice that the fork arms are for a long tube 26" frame, but this 24" frame has the shorter 4" steering tube typically found on most 20" frames. So, I used this unusual top steering tube-to-spring bracket that has closer to a 90 degree bend (than the typical Schwinn 60 degree bracket) to make it all fit together. Conveniently, this combination of parts also allowed the spring to sit almost perfectly horizontal, and the frame is completely visible when viewed from the side. Good aesthetics!
DSCN1765 (3).JPG
DSCN1764 (3).JPG

I know this isn't the usual Reallybigtim style, but I don't hate how it looks with the springer assembled like that. The top tubes getting close to parallel with the ground smooths out the bike. The big problem is all that rideability you gained :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I know this is the usual Reallybigtim style, but I don't hate how it looks with the springer assembled like that. The top tubes getting close to parallel with the ground smooths out the bike. The big problem is all that rideability you gained :rolleyes:
I am going to try standard Krate forks on that offset steering tube to see if I can get the top tube horizontal. It's a completely different look, but I think it might work. The 26" bent springer arms are just too big for the frame. Maybe this one just didn't want to be a FREAK. But I still need to figure out something FREAK-y for this build. I have a reputation to uphold.

Here are some close-ups of the unusual springer steering tube with the offset bottom mounting points. Notice that the fork arms are for a long tube 26" frame, but this 24" frame has the shorter 4" steering tube typically found on most 20" frames. So, I used this unusual top steering tube-to-spring bracket that has closer to a 90 degree bend (than the typical Schwinn 60 degree bracket) to make it all fit together. Conveniently, this combination of parts also allowed the spring to sit almost perfectly horizontal, and the frame is completely visible when viewed from the side. Good aesthetics!
View attachment 158167View attachment 158169

Your fork ideas are awesome! Never seen them mounted like this.

I know your signature is using those lowrider springers, but I'm honestly digging this look better than your first 2 mockups. The stance works better to me, and like @OddJob mentioned, the tires look even bigger with the smaller handlebars and seat. It almost looks like a shrunken-down fat tire bike!
I second those emotions!

Latest posts

Back