BO15 Blue Dream

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly cause they switched to SPD pedals. I recently put a set of those straps on my Gravel, and it rides sweet! More speed, less pedaling effort.
My favorite part is that I get to wear whatever shoes I want. Bicycles can be a huge expense just on their own. The "industry" suggesting one needs specially designed gear other than a bike, just to ride a bike is a notion that I don't buy into.

Keeping on-point here, I was digging through some BB parts yesterday for the Uke Dave build and in an obscure little bag in the corner of the box was a Campagnolo BB spindle and cups, along with two dust caps. I hope it's the right length, it looks close!

Those leather toe straps are sweet.

Those leather toe straps are sweet.
I knew they existed, but thought that a NOS set of those in XL was an eternal white whale. I've decided to switch my tire choice because of them as well. Going with a set of these:

Gummis.jpg

Glad I waited to buy treads for it, but then again I have four active bikes with ISO 630 wheels and can always use an extra set around.

Well, the proverbial cookie crumbled on the leather-clad toe clips. The seller in Germany advised that due to the pandemic, regular shipping is on hold and if I still wanted them it would cost another $40ish. Refunded and looking elsewhere. I'm sold on the leather protectors and Velo Orange has them, so just a decent of XL Christophe chrome toe clips are what need to be acquired now.

KCI, do you have the leather shoes that were worn when these toe clip and strap style retainers were created? :grin: I wouldn't blame the 'industry' too quickly for an invention that has literally taken pedaling efficiency on a mountain bike, or road bike for that matter, to a whole 'nother level. :soapbox: Okay, I'm off my soap box now.

Just found these on ebay, XL and everything. Right in good ol Grand Rapids, MI.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MKS-Deep-S...001457&hash=item1c93bb5ae6:g:iXMAAOSwDpteqI5B
mkstoeclips.jpg

And some Christophe leather straps....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEFAL-CHRI...475250&hash=item58e12ff132:g:9qYAAOSwxNxbW2Rf

Blue Dream is a Eurotrash build and MKS is Japanese. Even new Christophe steel toeclips are made in China now. I have a set of XL MKS in my toeclip stash.

I'm not serious enough to buy efficiency. I just want to ride my bikes in whatever shoes I want to ride them in. I can go fast enough in reg'lar shoes.

Last edited:
C'mon now, that's no way to be.

From my first post on this bike:

Just sayin'.

Relax and breathe a bit. This is bikes. Bikes are fun.

According to this guy, they are about freedom through punk rock as well.
https://carsrcoffins.com/about/

Yeah, that's ^ Hurl, aka Thomas Everstone. He's been pretty successful with his CRC gig and is good for providing some entertainment on rides and bicycle related gatherings. Lives in the metro 'hood right here in the T.C.
I'm about 10+ years older than Hurl, so punk rock wasn't really my thing. I'm more of a '70s classic rock guy. To each his own.

We could put (fill in with your own brand of) Rock in there and his words still ring true.

Good People, that Hurl.
My bike-riding / music life is pretty parallel to Hurl's. Punk is my fave, but I like anything that appeals to me. The one exception is high school is when the bike was hidden in the back of the garage. I rode my bike in college as much as I did when I was 10. It was a different bike, though.

That settles it. I'm going to do a little research and make a list of nothing but 1972 releases to listen to when working on Blue Dream. I am down to two builds left before starting some finish resto work...suggestions are welcome.

As a side-note, when hand-painting my tallbike, it was all Hendrix and Pink Floyd/David Gilmour. When labeling-up Fade To Black Sabbath, it was all Sabbath. For me, it sets the mood and somehow makes things work out well.

Lol guys, punk is 70s classic rock now. Ramones get played at hockey games (Hey ho, let's go!), The Clash Rock the Casbah is FM gold, Sex Pistols (sorta) played the Queen's jubilee in London. Can't we all just get along?
Just talkin' bikes and music... no conflict here.

That settles it. I'm going to do a little research and make a list of nothing but 1972 releases to listen to when working on Blue Dream. I am down to two builds left before starting some finish resto work...suggestions are welcome.

As a side-note, when hand-painting my tallbike, it was all Hendrix and Pink Floyd/David Gilmour. When labeling-up Fade To Black Sabbath, it was all Sabbath. For me, it sets the mood and somehow makes things work out well.
That's the idea, Karate Chicken!! I've named my last two BO bikes from lyrics to songs released the same year as my bikes. Creates the VIBE, right?

My favorite release from 1972 is often unknown, even to those who enjoy the band's later successes. Featuring a young Michael Schenker on lead guitar, the importance of this album to Heavy Metal as a genre is unquestionable due to his influence on Metal guitarists who followed. I had the opportunity to see him on his Temple Of Rock Tour a few years ago, which featured Fran Bucholz and Herman Rarebell in his lineup. It was like seeing Scorpions, UFO and MSG all in the same show and they didn't miss a beat. This LP is difficult to pigeon-hole into any particular genre, but I would say the easiest answer is Space Rock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonesome_Crow
Way more great music than the time it will take me to finish this build. Why aren't more recent years like this small sampling of LPs from 1972? I own most of this list on LP and/or CD. One of my favorite t-shirts to ride in simply says, "Listen To Volume Four". It was a great time to be rolling around.

Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot
Bonnie Raitt - Give It Up
Jackson Browne - Jackson Browne
Raspberries - Fresh
Jeff Beck Group - Jeff Beck Group
War - The World Is A Ghetto
Humble Pie - Smokin'
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Van Morrison - Saint Dominic's Preview
Funkadelic - America Eats It's Young
Pete Townhsend - Who Came First
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach
Manassas - Manassas
T-Rex - The Slider
Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson
Alice Cooper - School's Out
Lou Reed - Transformer
Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes
Yes - Close To The Edge
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
Eagles - Eagles
Big Star - #1 Record
Dr. John - Dr. John's Gumbo
Randy Newman - Sail Away
Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
Honky Chateau - Elton John
Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?
Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
Neil Young - Harvest
David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street

Last edited:
I doubt that even the top 20 albums of 2000-2020 could match up that that list of one year.

So now I have three Opaque Blue Schwinn bikes from the early 70's, after never having one that color all of these years. I could have started Blue Dream's paint resto when BO15 began, but other builds to pay the bills had to be done. I'm glad I put it off because this week my e-stumbling uncovered this 63cm 1974 Le Tour in Opaque Blue. Practice before delving into something as rare as the Blue Dream frame seemed like a good idea.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/practice-makes-perfect-aka-baby-blue.111233/
FTR, The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars was playing when the paint resto was going on.

Latest posts

Back