BLOODY MARY MORNING

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
heres my build. a mid 30s elgin. i wish i could pinpoint the year. i'm thinkin' 36.
this is how i got it a little more than a year ago. i've been workin on other stuff and been waitin for time or motivation to build this.
aint better motivation than a bunch of other knuckleheads buildin' bikes also.
this wont be a contender. it wont be wild or innovative. just a good lookin bike i hope.
it'll be a boardtrack style mixed w/ a gentlemans path racer(guvnuh).
heres my goals for this build.
1) i've built/sold/swapped/converted a lot of skiptooth bikes. it's time to build a keeper for myself
2)try to use as many vintage parts as possible(i'm flexable on this one).
3)use ZERO metric fasteners.
IMG_5141_zpsd7168aef.jpg

Cool frame and ruleset. I love that chainring!
Good luck buddy!

No metric fasteners... what's the alternative?

I liked this frame when I first saw it, I know you'll do it up right.

Is it going to be murdered out? :lol:

thanx, man. and no it aint gonna be murdered out. even if i did it completely black i wouldnt call it that :p
even though 99% of the bikes ive built are black this one will be a nice burgandy.
the orig plan was maroon/burgandy than i thought of doc martin oxblood. than the other nite listening to willie nelson the name
BLOODY MARY MORNING came to me. so there ya have it 8)
so far i've just started disassembling it.
awhile back i threw these wheels on it to get an idea of wht i was doin.
IMG_5147_zps46d87b5a.jpg

i aint using them, but that rear musselman hub has grown on me.
i'm using these rims i took of 50s bike. i dont remember what.
IMG_5148_zps3128f9f5.jpg

like a dummy i've been tryin to build myself a propper road bike, so ive been a little distracted the last week or 2.
my BO progress is a little boring, but here it is.
frame&fork stripped & primered.
IMG_5165_zpsc89dbbe6.jpg

traded stems w/ ian(IB57)he's building the same frame,but in a BMX/cruiser style. i got it today and i think it'll work great.
IMG_5166_zpse9273214.jpg

last year i got this brooks saddle from fellow member mike(bike2112).where the heck is he this year?
it was worn & flat. today i scrubbed it down w/ some saddle soap. i was gonna tighten it together w/ a ratchet strap but than i rememberd a guy that showed pix of how he saved his w/ an old tube. i tried that and than decided to chuck it in the vise. we'll see how it looks in a few days :p
IMG_5163_zps67cdb256.jpg

IMG_5164_zps750aecfc.jpg

everyone i think. i cant see 'em. photobucket has switched up lately and i guess i aint figured it out yet :lol:

dumb pix, but i figured it out :lol:

I've got one of those flat saddles, I need to see how it works out for you, but I don't have any fancy saddle lotions. :roll:

you could also punch some holes in the side of that saddle (and add eyelets?) and lace the middle together with a leather strand. I've seen that done. Looks kinda neat too. I think when you sit on it, it's gonna flatten out, even if it retains it's shape while free standing.

yoothgeye said:
Not with enough kegel exercises.
uhhhhh.......no. :lol:
yeah i thought i mite lace it together. i just wanted to see if the saddle soap would soften it up a little.

sure i could buy proofide for 10 bucks and get as much as a mini altoids cans worth
or spend 6 bucks at my local/favorite hardware store for a can of saddle soap thatll last 10 years

beatcad said:
sure i could buy proofide for 10 bucks and get as much as a mini altoids cans worth
or spend 6 bucks at my local/favorite hardware store for a can of saddle soap thatll last 10 years

I know what I need from Tractor Supply now.

so i unwraped the saddle last nite and it looks like it will kinda hold its shape. i got some leather shoelaces to poke holes and lace it tite anyhow.
IMG_5175_zpsafbf4bcc.jpg

IMG_5174_zpscf667e9d.jpg

also today i stripped the rims so i could start start sanding the rusty bits.
i swear i took these rims off the same bike! they look the same in every way except once i stripped 'em one looked steel and one looked copper!? i dunno. i'll mess w/ 'em more tomorrow.
IMG_5168_zps6b68ec61.jpg

IMG_5176_zps09017aaa.jpg

this is the mussleman hub i'm probably gonna run. ive got a couple of NDs i could use, and a vintage fixed hub that crossed my mind briefly :wink:
what got me sold is the holes. y'all will see why when i get a little further along
IMG_5177_zpse8f3f7b0.jpg

I've used neetsfoot oil to bring back old hard, crusty leather. Softens it and weatherproofs it. I've also used "Farnam" brand "Leather New Foam" cleaner and polish. That stuff is awesome! Used it on super hard,crusty, flat brooks saddles, added another fifty years to their life. Made them super soft, clean and a nice sheen.

so, i aint got much done. mostly cause i've been buzy w/ other junk and i figure i've got time :roll:
with this build i'm gonna end up like a high school kid tryin' to finish his science project at midnight the night it's due if i dont kick it into hi-gear soon :lol:
i stripped and primered the rims. yeah, i know it's boring progress, but its progress.
IMG_5184_zpsc7d387ba.jpg

Latest posts

Back