Blackout... brighter pics. added... guess I made a hotrod and got mooned again

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be the first cigarette lighter in a build off!
:D:D

The stem looks cool!
I'm wondering how much travel there is on that 'dog bone' part of the fork? Not much room before it would hit the handle bar.

Thanks! yep that will need to be determined yet there's 11/16" right now, pushing down its not that close but riding may be different with bumps? but will see, this thing will diff. not be a speed cruiser.

I decided last year after bare bonnie with the custom stem I did every build I do will have one of some sort I must have ran thru 30 different ideas on this and did not like any of them, when I came across the skull cigarette lighter in the parts store for some reason it spoke to me soooo.... bad pics but different angles it almost looks like the bars are the arms everything will be welded and blended in

Nice lighting details and the seat looks sick.
Are you gonna light up the lighter skull eyes?

Thanks KF.. skull eyes wont light up,
had a bad fender rub on front fork was pushing fenders into tire so had to trim fenders up just enough to clear fork, had to grind non drive crank to clear lower stay, ground some on the back seat support, nuts welded in tubes to attached lights.
times a tickin

will be ripping this apart weld/grind few more areas and do a quick blast of the welds and smooth them out. Oh how I wish there was one extra week:( had to scratch some stuff off my to do list. my back up bars.

Last edited:
bent these up yesterday they are 3 piece so not quite sitting even as just taped up about 27 1/2" wide and longer pull back :39: kinda like the early motorcycle bars flat with the slight down curve by grips, there's one more style I may try to bend up before I rip it apart.

got everything reblasted by all the welds and new tubes and a lot filled. Parts scattered everywhere everything is in primer except the frame/fork which are close get in primer today yet and tank which I laid a layer of glass on inside of the one half just way to thin to do anything else with will get in primer tomorrow.
I spent extra time finishing the bars as did not like the looks of my backup bars

All I can say is wow! You really do some nice custom work. That bike is going to be awesome and i love the fenders. I looked at yours and decided to add some fenders to my western flyer project. Mine do not come down as far but I love the looks of it. You do some very nice metal work.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Thanks! I got the frame and fork in primer only thing left is the tank. I have decided I have only 2 options at this point buy some black primer scuff it and spray a coat of black primer with maybe some krylon black highpoints or pull out just not enough time to do actual paint correct the way I want it done.

I feel your pain on deciding what to sacrifice for the deadline. I took a long look at mine yesterday and came to the conclusion that there would be more things not finished than finished, so I had to pull it.

Yours however will be close enough in black primer. Not much difference between black primer and hot rod black! Keep your foot on the gas!

I feel your pain on deciding what to sacrifice for the deadline. I took a long look at mine yesterday and came to the conclusion that there would be more things not finished than finished, so I had to pull it.

Yours however will be close enough in black primer. Not much difference between black primer and hot rod black! Keep your foot on the gas!

Thanks TRM for encouragement I knew I was going to be really close on paint but now need to be out of town Friday so that really killed it for paint still pushing ahead though.....

It looks like a slick integrated cargo bike in that pic!
Love the flow brother! Keep plugging away.

well most of its in black primer as I had no time for paint but not the happiest they sent me the wrong activator but I did not have a choice as they were closed today to exchange so had to use what I had it dried way to fast spraying couldn't keep everything wet to flow good :mad: and it wasn't even that hot today. But I have to keep reminding myself this is ratrod bikes doesn't need to be perfect but not what I was shooting for basically, will see what tomorrow brings for the remainder of the last pieces and the last reveal if it turns out. I will be down to the wire again.

I'm sure that it's disappointing about the paint, but it looks good in the photos. Maybe you can correct it later.

I had a very similar experience many years ago painting my car with lacquer. I ran out of the correct thinner half way through the job and was forced to use cheep clean up thinner to finish. It dried so fast that the over spray next to every wet pass dried before it hit the car. In the end it looked like velvet. I was sick to my stomach but I waited a month or so and wet sanded and buffed it and it look fine.

Latest posts

Back