BLACKBIRD (Skylark Convertible)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the last of the pinstripes done and baking in the sun.
IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

The stripe is only about 1/16" but really shows up against the black!
IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

What is the channel used for . Knowing you it's probably some kind of gadget that automatically pinstripes bike rims ?

Last edited:
I just needed something to hold the wheels while I painted them. It worked good because I painted one side of each wheel and then just rolled the post over and got the other side. Then walked the whole thing outside in the sun. I can also rotate each side for an even tan.:nerd:
IMG_1333.JPG

I finally finished the little chain guard bracket today. I've been waiting untill the chain ring and all of the sheet metal was in place before I could guage where to drill the hole where it bolts to the guard.

Got it cut to length and drilled before giving it and the bolts a quick coat of black primer. Some of you may remember that this started as thrift store BBQ tongs.
IMG_1340.JPG

It looks like the front fender is way too long but I’m sure the wheels will sort that out.
The mullet is longer than stock. But I think like you said it will look right when it's sitting on the ground.

Man this is turning out great!!! Absolutely love that black with red pinstripe!
That flat black with the red pinstripes ties in really nice with the ratina parts.
Love it!
Love the colouring. Very hot rod.
Thanks y'all!
The funny thing is that I had been completely ignoring the black and red color scheme up until a couple of weeks ago. Now that the bike has decided on the colors for me, I'm loving it!

Always listen to the bike when it speaks!:)

Thanks y'all!
The funny thing is that I had been completely ignoring the black and red color scheme up until a couple of weeks ago. Now that the bike has decided on the colors for me, I'm loving it!

Always listen to the bike when it speaks!:)

index.php

The wheels are done. Got the tires mounted and also dressed them up with the cool little valve stem caps and one special doodad.

Is anyone familiar with a vintage 1950's Norco Whirl-Away Bird Bicycle Spoke Accessory? I had never heard of them until one showed up in my mailbox back in July via Lee Swenson (OddJob)!
index.php

At first I wasn't sure what to do with it. But with all of the attention plastic birds have been getting around here and with the recent name change to BLACKBIRD, how could I not use it!:D

Even though the red would've matched the bike, it had to be a Blackbird so this happened...
IMG_1342.JPG

Thanks again Lee!

Last edited:
Man, he is gonna get dizzy!!!!! :crazy2::crazy2:

The wheels are done. Got the tires mounted and also dressed them up with the cool little valve stem caps and one special doodad.

Is anyone familiar with a vintage 1950's Norco Whirl-Away Bird Bicycle Spoke Accessory? I had never heard of them until one showed up in my mailbox back in July via Lee Swnson (OddJob)!
index.php

At first I wasn't sure what to do with it. But with all of the attention plastic birds have been getting around here and with the recent name change to BLACKBIRD, how could I not use it!:D

Even though the red would've matched the bike, it had to be a Blackbird so this happened...
View attachment 103604

Thanks again Lee!
Bird is the Word! Love it.

Latest posts

Back