~~Black Betty~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, mannnn there are some sweet bikes being slapped together here, I didnt think i was going to have the time to enter this year, but alas i have a couple weeks off so im pretty sure Ill be able to get this bike rollin in time. My thoughts for the build are like most of my builds, zero capital investment. Up here in B.C. ... Penticton in particular, it is so .... hard to find old bikes period, let alone anything balloon tire or curvy with a tank... they just arent around. any of the oldest ones i find are still mostly diamond frames... so i work with what i find and what i can get my hands on. This bike will be made out of all spare parts i have kickin around. Only buying the paint. Ill see what I can do, Ive got an idea in mind, so here we go. I managed to mock up the basic bike to test all the parts together and see how it feels rolling. Glad to join the fun. and keep two wheels between your legs people.

kevbonium said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Looks cool from what I can see, can you post some bigger pics?

if you click on them they go full size!

Ah cool! Looks killer!

Okay this may sound a little crazy but why would you want to change anything on that sweet ride

Welcome to BO8
cool starting point

kevbonium said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Looks cool from what I can see, can you post some bigger pics?

if you click on them they go full size!

You may still want to post bigger ones. With so many other builds to follow, some people may skip the added steps of clicking going back click do back,etc.

Took er all apart, sanding priming and painting done for the small stuff this weekend.. started with the key lime greenish colour i decided on for pinstriping, and working on the satin black. This bike is going to be literally low budget for me, eveything im using on the bike i already own. I think its going to look great, and its a pleasure to ride. Im going to keep it really simple.. very few bells and whistles... debating wether or not to even have a taillight on it, as it kind of klunks it up a bit. we shall see what feels right.

got the flat black all done.. time for some green/ yellow

Those stripes are wicked!!!
DId you tape them off or do them free hand?

Thank you, I taped them off, took a few hours but Im really happy with how they turned out, cant wait to see it together!

Those stripes SCREAM cool :shock:

Nice work!

Welcome to the build off :mrgreen:

You know I dont have a clue what frame it is.. that bugs me a bit because i love knowing every bit of history about the bikes I build or the pieces i use.. there are no markings or serial numbers on it, it could be anything. If anyone happens to have an idea of what it is im all ears.
So I finished up the flat black paint and striping, and chose a satin clear coat, as I love the deeper black without the glossy shine.. I chose to use pedals off a 1950 ladies ccm, and some standard 26x1 3/8 wheels. The gas pipe worked out perfectly for the seat post and it gives it a way more comfortable stance when riding. I grabbed the horn from value village and it came with almost an ear piece end, not sure if it was just an ornament or not. I then chopped a horn from walmart and threw the reed and squeezer on it and what do you know.. sounds great. The saddle is from a seventies road bike that i scavenged... love the seat, very comfortable and solid leather. I decided to not put a tail light on it for now as i felt it cluttered the bike up a little too much for me. The sleeker the better. The bike license plate is from a lovely woman in Florida, just what I was looking for. The wing nut axle nuts are from that same seventies road bike and I was really stoked to actually make use of them as I had been saving them for the right bike. Just a tiny bit of chrome, the nuts and the spikes on the fenders. I was fortunate enough that the headlight was built for a 1.5v d battery, and the bulb worked! I took out the reflective lense and painted it black to blend things in a little better, then added the x to the outside of the lense. Overall I am really happy with the bike as it is a dream to ride, looks great and simple... and didnt hurt my wallet too badly, the total cost was about a twenty dollar bill in the end. I like it. I was feeling kind of guilty about painting this bike at all as I did like the beat up look of it when I mocked it up, but I think Im happy with it. It was an absolute pleasure participating this year and Im glad i could squeeze it in, as i am away with work six days a week. Luckily I crammed all the building I could in this last week with a little extra time off. Priorities haha. I have tried to enter for a few years now and Im glad to say I had the time this year. Good Luck to all my fellow enthusiasts and builders, there are some absolute beautiful works of art out there, cant wait to see all the final builds. Thanks again for the opportunity to be apart of all this wickedness. Cant wait till next year already.

Here She is, the number two woman in my life, Betty

image hosting

upload a picture

taking a screen shot

image hosting software

image hosting flickr

how to screenshot on windows

image hosting

Latest posts

Back