biscuit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well ive been poking around this site for a while now, love the bikes btw, but I thought I would enter this contest as well. I am entering a motorized bike. It is a no name 26" cruiser I picked up a while back. Ive built it once already, but now I am completely starting over and changing a lot of little things. Really I am hoping this will keep me motivated to finish in a timely manner. Here are pictures of the faux-patina I did yesterday, as well as pictures of the motor mounts. I am waiting on some parts to come in currently but here it is! I give you biscuit.

thanks for the encouragement, this bike wont be full of rare vintage parts and ubscure brands. It will be a cool functional vintage styled bike, with a few special touches.

Most of this was just experimenting with the info I had researched, honestly I didn't expect it to turn out this good on the first go.
I stripped the frame to bare metal
soaked frame with vinegar to take anything off the surface
put on two coats of filler primer and wet sand with 600 grit
let dry for 24 hours
put on two coats of rust-oleum brown primer wet sand with 600 grit
let dry for 24 hours
put on four coats of rust-oleum khaki
let dry for 24 hours
then i put on a couple coats of clear engine enamel.
let dry for 24 hours
Now that I had my colors down in the appropriate order, I brainstormed who to actually get the effect without looking like I just sanded it. So what I did was take the Gel stripper and applied it on thick in the usual places you might find wear.
Let it dry in the sun. I took an old dish sponge with the green Brillo pad on the back. Then reason I used and old one was the Brillo was already worn down and not as abrasive aka scratches.
The effect worked perfectly, with the stripper dry it didn't smear just made a pitting look, random chucks missing. I cleaned it off and applied more stripped around the areas I already did and some others but with much lighter coats, basically I would put the stripper down heavy or light. the light coatings would not eat all the way through to bare metal giving a more realistic effect. And I didn't really have to sand anything down more just knocking of dried bubbles.
after I was happy with that part i mixed up a solution of 2 table spoons of salt, 16 Oz hydrogen peroxide, and 4 oz vinegar approximately.
I just made two batches of this mix and and sprayed it all out. I would let it dry after a soak the hit it again till I used all the mix.
Then I just let it dry and wiped all the salt off.

It worked really well actually, there are three different colors showing through no sanding marks really aka horizontal lines. The clear coat was genius because the vinegar mix couldn't eat though it but it dull the sheen a lot, so there are some mildly glosses spots still mixed with the rust and everything else. I still have it hanging outside, but it hasn't rained or anything yet lol thanks for the help mother nature.

here is a crappy mock up that will kinda tell you what Ill end up making. I've still got a lot of work to do.

and here is another shot of the patina

Well I said I wasn't going to use any real vintage parts, well I lied. I found some really good deals on some parts and snatched them up. After seeing all of the other builds on here I felt like mine was way to straight forward so. I have a couple of things up my sleeve.

This is a puch moped mechanical speedo that I will make work for me. Shouldn't be to hard really.

here is a current mock up, still missing the seat, but it is on its way currently.

Progress is slow, I'm a full time student and work a full time job so it will probably take me awhile to get this all done but summer break is almost here. I picked up the tank off ebay for really cheap, the challange now is to find a gas cap and petcock to fit. well that and mount it. Im really liking this so far.

This is shaping up nicely!

Latest posts

Back