Bill's Beast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered mine Tuesday, and it arrived today (Friday).

Went through it to see if all the bearings had grease and were adjusted properly. Back axle was great. Front was too tight but had the right amount of grease, and was easily adjusted. The headset was too tight and the tabbed washer was not indexed in the slot in the steer tube. But the grease was fine. So far so good.

Then I tried to turn the cranks. Oh, my. My first thought was that they were amazingly tight. Easy enough to adjust, right? Took the lockring off the non-drive side. The cup ought to be moveable with my fingers, right? Nope. Tried to move it with a hammer and screwdriver. Nope. Upon closer inspection, I didscovered I had the dreaded crossthreaded BB, torqued to 400ft-lbs by some 9-year-old with an impact wrench. :cry: Sooo, I'll be in touch with Pacific Cycles.

My standard for what constitutes a rideable bike is pretty low, so I decided I would take it out for a spin. Wow. Just wow. Much easier to pedal than I thought, even with the world's draggiest BB. I normally ride a 29er MTB. This FatWally rides so much smoother, and just floats over anything in its path. All the little bumps and ridges that give a regular bike a harsh ride on typical uneven pavement just disappear under four inches of fatness. Going up a curb just required pointing the bike at it and pedaling through it. The grip on sand was just unbeleivable on a couple of sandy patches around tha house. I'm looking forward to trying it out on some sandy trails.

The gearing is fine for flat pavement. I'll need something a lot lower for the mtb trails. The coaster brake is really good so far. The size is a bit small for my 6'3" frame, but I think a seatpost or a stem will fix me right up. Oh, and the red paint looks about 5 times as good as I expected. I might just leave it alone.

Enough for now. Updates as events warrant.

seems like a pretty typical first experience. did you get the BB un-cross threaded?

might as well go ahead and order a 22 tooth for the rear. turns it into a really nice slo-rider.

I tried to get a 20 tooth sprocket to see if that would gear it down enough. A month and no sprocket, still on order. All the shops have 22's, but no 20s. I found the 22 way to low for the street. However, I added a different chain wheel setup, using a 34 instead of the 36 that came with it. It seems to be just right with the 18 tooth rear sprocket that came with it. For street and off road.

I did not get it unthreaded. I decided to just take pictures, contact Mongoose, and see what they offer. I whapped it with a hammer/screwdriver really hard and it didn't budge.

For the streets around here, I like the gears the way they are. Plenty of standing up require, but I like standing some, and I enjoy the speed I can get without spinning too fast. BUT for the mtb trails, I typically run a 32x24 on my 29er. I'm going to change my beast over to that. It will spin out pretty quick on pavement that way, though. Really, I need to learn to slow down and enjoy the bike path more, though, so that will help. :)

Ha! "FatWally"!
Glad you finally got yours - pretty fun, huh?!

:D I like that name too. I didn't come up with it...

It is definitely a joy to ride. Moreso than I expected.

It does drop the chain on me every now and then, when I am doing my Tour de France imitation, sprinting with the bike tilted way over. And then I have to cram my foot against the tire to stop the bike. Quite exciting. It hasn't been a problem yet, but I would like for it to stop. Does that happen to you guys? I figure it's due to something flexing - chainstays or chainring?

I dropped my chain once,the chainline seems to be off a bit..
Some better nuts on rear axel and getting chain real tight seems to have fixed mine..

Yeah no doubt flex. Probably sideways dislocation of the bottom bracket. I had that problem when I tried to put taller gearing on a Chinese "Schwinn", and tried to blast off across a road crossing on the local rail trail. Rolled through the second lane to the downhill on the other side, and then thanked myself for having installed a front brake. Put back the stock sprocket and it won't do it even if I try. If you can find a 20 or 19t, it should help alleviate the problem without the bmx spin you get with 22.

I have a room full of pretty cool looking cruisers, but I like this one the best. Neighbors
will stop what they are doing to walk closer and watch you ride by. I love mine. :lol:

Latest posts

Back