BIKEFLIGHTS.COM - MY EXPERIENCE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
We've discussed this company before in regards to discounted shipping rates, but this week I got to try them out myself.

I sold my Matthews Monoshock 20" BMX to a guy in Tokyo, Japan. I've always been reluctant to sell bikes overseas because of the stories I've read and the hassle factor. I did a bit of research and ended up on the bikeflights.com website. I measured the bike and weighed it to get a rough estimate and ran the numbers. It ended up costing $265 to ship the bike to Japan with $1500 worth of insurance. They have an agreement with FedEx which somehow gets them discounted rates for domestic and international shipping of bikes. For grins I went to the FedEx website and put the same info in for a quote and it came back with an estimate of over $600. :shock:

So on Sunday afternoon I went ahead and submitted my shipping order for the bike via their website and it said that I would receive my shipping label in about 10 minutes. It also noted that if I didn't receive the label within that time I should contact customer service. Well, 30 minutes went by and I didn't have an email yet so I called their service number. Turns out that customer service is only available M-F during regular business hours. :cry: I left a voicemail and also sent an email to their support email address. I assumed it would all be resolved the next day.

On Monday morning I received an email from support telling me that because my order was an international order they had to do a little more paperwork for customs than they normally would...fair enough. So within about 30 minutes I received the email containing a PDF file with the shipping label. I didn't have to fill in any customs paperwork...they did it all!!!

I printed off the label and slapped it on the box and took it over to the local FedEx/Kinkos shop and just handed it to the guy and walked out. That was Monday at about noon. Today (Thurs) I received a shipping update via FedEx telling me that the bike was delivered and the transaction was complete. :shock: I also got an email from the buyer this morning telling me that he got the bike and it arrived in perfect condition.

I was amazed that the process was as easy as it was and was shocked that the bike got there as fast as it did. I've definitely become a fan of this company. I'll be checking their rates on domestic bike shipping from now on as well.

So if you need to ship a bike, make sure you run your numbers with them first....ESPECIALLY for international bike shipping. :wink:

http://www.bikeflights.com

qwz0.jpg

5too.jpg

hxn0.jpg

znjm.jpg

tj4c.jpg

Someone on the forum pointed out bikeflights to me a while back. I have used them a few times with great cheaper results. Very easy too.

That person was me Kingfish. I have been using BIKEFLIGHTS.COM for several years with no issues. A couple hints with their website; Make sure you choose one-way shipping, round trip is their default setting and If you can ship to a commercial address, it will save you $5. You can also pay $5, and they (fedex)will pick it up from your home. Awesome company, awesome service. You can also ship smaller boxes (parts) with this service, just enter your box demensions and weight.

Tim

That is good info. I too am curious about domestic shipping rates vs. UPS. I know UPS isn't too bad as long as you don't hit the magic "oversized" spec.

yoothgeye said:
Who has used the service domestically and is it any cheaper than just going to UPS or FedEx?

I used it domestically and yes it comes out cheaper shipping FedEx via bikeflights than it does using FedEx directly. It was cheaper than UPS too.

Ive used them for domestic stuff. I sent a complete bmx cruiser, MI to MA for $35. It arrived in 2 days, bonus. I love walking into Fedex and dropping the box on the counter, getting a receipt, and walking out without all the questions.

Tim

I've used them several times, internationally and domestic, always super transactions and for the extra $5.00 they pick up at my doorstep. I've mentioned them a few times here and on the cabe. It was Kingfish who I first heard about them from.

bikejunky said:
That person was me Kingfish. I have been using BIKEFLIGHTS.COM for several years with no issues.
Tim

Thanks Tim, I couldn't remember who it was.

I have a question about this place. Are rates discounted for bike parts too? Like say a set of wheels? The USPS charges a fortune to ship wheels.

Shipped on Monday from Texas and arrived on Thursday in Japan? :shock: I shipped a bike from Indiana to Texas and it took longer than that.

Danimal said:
I have a question about this place. Are rates discounted for bike parts too? Like say a set of wheels? The USPS charges a fortune to ship wheels.

They say on their site somewhere that they do ship smaller packages.

Bikeflights is the best! They have a drop down menu with most standard bike and wheel box dimensions so if you just plug in a weight and zip codes you can get a shipping quote in less than 5 minutes. Ive shipped 3 complete balloon tire bikes from the East to West coast and they all were between $82-$90! I just packaged another complete going to Cali, this time in 2 cut down custom boxes and actually got a shipping quote of just under $80 :shock: Also as others mentioned you can save $5 if it goes to a business address or ad $5 and they will pick up at your door.

-Brian

Well I'm giving them a try. I sold a set of wheels and I packed them up. Using Bikeflights, the quote was almost half of the standard FedEx quote.

Dan

The only thing to remember is to make sure you use them during a week day.

I don't think they do anything on the weekend so if you plan to print off a label and drop off the package on a Saturday or Sunday you better buy the label and print it during the week.

Worked good so far. Filled out the forms, paid with PP, and the label was sent in seconds. Dropped it off at a 3rd party FedEx place without issue.

Rat Rod wheels on their way to Texas (but NOT to you Steve).

Latest posts

Back