Bike with no name

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not quite sure what this thing is, no head badge any more. The general consensus is that it's a Murray of some sort.
2bb4381b9901c0f371d6374268616dc8.jpg
I found it at a swap meet during last years build off while I was looking for a seat for last years bike... I just pulled it out of the shed tonight, I have no idea yet what I'm gonna do with it, figure I'll pull it apart and see what's good and what's not and what's under the paint and go from there.

Elgin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like it :cool2:

Beautiful! Does look Murray from the chainring, old Elgin is a good guess. Any remnants of a headbadge shape in the old paint and patina?

keep the rubber side down!

Nice bike! It may be late 30's from what I've read about Murrays. maybe 37 or 38 because of the straight downtube. Do you have a serial number? I also read a "C" is 1938 "D" is 1939 etc, but I don't know how true that is. This bike's chain ring is slightly different but otherwise is very similar to yours, even has the slight bend in the fork.

img_0006-jpg.40984

Agreed. Good-lookin, hand-made American steel made to last. Curvy top tubes with straight-bar down and seat tubes mixed together. The added bonus on this cool frame is the wishbone seat-stay! Some day I will find one, but it may be a long wait....:cry:

Nice bike! It may be late 30's from what I've read about Murrays. maybe 37 or 38 because of the straight downtube. Do you have a serial number? I also read a "C" is 1938 "D" is 1939 etc, but I don't know how true that is. This bike's chain ring is slightly different but otherwise is very similar to yours, even has the slight bend in the fork.

This is all I've found so far, looks really crude
e535d1702fffef4398e5265197866edd.jpg

I believe Murray built Hiawatha that looks like that .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he ^ said! This would be a kool klunker kandidate for sure! You've got a great start whichever way you choose to go. RaT oN!

Funny you both should say that... I've been wanting to build a klunker for a while now, I like that style of bike and I don't have one ;) I really really want to use these air cooled hubs, they're the main reason I bought this bike
899b478cfd43a418f2d03799389e8fb4.jpg
cb9816a2716bd32112a3b50ed1ee3000.jpg
sadly the chain is worn beyond usability
d984122ea3e196983e863a25c74f9a77.jpg
I'm gonna search for one for a few weeks but if I can't use a skip tooth drivetrain on this thing it just might become a klunker

I'd be soaking the chain while you were looking for another option. Liquid WD40 or some thin machine oil. You may be surprised.

"I've been thru the desert on a bike with no name....
it felt so good to be out of the rain."

Guitarl.

Latest posts

Back