Bike Tire Life Span

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really just depends on the tire, but id say if their limited time deal at the good price id say get an extra set just in case. you never know when you might cut down a tire

Depends a lot on how you ride, where you ride, where your bike is kept, and how much you ride. Most of mine dry rot long before the tread starts to go.

Toeslider said:
inshane64 said:
Thanks guys I have read they are quality tires, they are the Felt Thick Bricks. I think I will get 2 pair.

Here is the link: https://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2012/Parts/Closeouts-Parts/Thick-Brick-Tire.aspx

You probably already know this, but make sure your bike has 24" rims, since the Thick Brick is a 24" tire. More than a few people have gotten excited over that deal thinking they were 26" tires.

Yep also make sure you have clearance, many 24" bikes don't have the space. I have seen lots of 26" frames with 24x3's and they look great! Rat on!

In my experience, modern tires fail from aging prior to wearing out. And, colors other-than-black fail much faster.

...how many miles has anyone gotten from a tire?
...I got over 4000 miles out of a Kenda www 26" front tire on my Huffy Causeway cruiser.

In my experience, mountian bike tires dont tend to wear out unless they rot from being super old or get a major hole in the tire itself from a nail or thorn

Like said above usually rot gets them before anything else, with the exception of skidding or a nasty cut or tear.

Bontrager Big Hanks--- 3500 to 4000 hard miles of commuting with some dirt and gravel riding thrown in. some cuts but nothing major, retired them to my cruiser last summer and still going strong

IMG_2494.JPG

What can cause this? Heat, age, over inflation, all of the aforementioned?
I store tires in the attic and it gets extremely hot in summer. I also tend to over inflate my balloon tires.

I think it depends on the tire quality and how much you ride, how much you inflate it and where it's stored like the other have said. I have a set of Kenda Comfort (street) on a mountain I use to commute with and they are still good after almost 10 years. They are starting to show sign of age tho.
LocoJoe, I think your tires are cracked because of the heat and over inflation. That would be the same for under inflation I'd say.

Latest posts

Back