• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bike specific steel- Where do YOU get it? Ashtabula (1 pc.) BBs in particular but

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you sure?

• Absolutely!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mmmm, not so much...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been building a style that requires a second Bottom Bracket lately, and I am running out!

I like single piece cranks, (i know, i know), 2.02" ID [OD largely unimportant] and the material for bottom brackets seems largely un-available out-side of cutting 'em off other bikes

So, where do other builders here get steel for fabbing, not just BBs, but anything - I tend to use whatever is lyin' around, is magnetic and cuts with a file- i.e. weldable steel
I have seen 4130 is desirable but I bet the old &/or inexpensive Wally frames are just 1020 carbon steel - but i make FrankenBikes, slammers and stretches. What do YOU use and where do you get it? And what are you willing to pay? I am stingy over this hobby, but I am curious about others.

What do you consider to be appropriate build material?

Latest posts

Back