bike parking racks from bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bikerack.jpg

HS2-F-SS-MISSION%20(1).jpg

i could see something like this being made from cut up sections of old wheels

this is a cool idea- I think you could use the front portion of ladies bike frames (from the seat tube forward).
Chop them off and weld to a piece of steel strap that can be anchored into the concrete every foot or so.
They can be placed staggered (as shown), or even just parallel. and can be painted a variety of colors.
I hope you can see this pic- I did it in pencil so its a little light.
IMG.jpg

I'm sure you can build a cool rack from rear triangles or ladies front triangles- lots of donors out there at least.

The bolts you want to anchor the unit to the concrete are called "Hilti's" - the company is best known for gun-type devices that shoot a bolt or nail into concrete, but their best product is the expanding anchor bolt or nut inserts that go into a drilled hole in concrete.

Installing requires a hammer drill (or any power drill with a hammer setting on it) and a correct sized concrete bit for drilling the pilot holes for the size of anchor you want. For something as solid as a bike rack, you'll probably want at least 3/8"-16 hardware. Bike racks can receive a lot of abuse and you'll need big bolts to keep them solid.

Our group has installed a couple of racks around town and soon will be installing this one, built by a local blacksmith/artist (She's AWESOME!) A whale rack for an elementary school in the Whaling City:
whalerack2.jpg

whalerack5.jpg

Since mounting something for public use like this is so important, make sure you weld on LARGE mounting feet. The plates on the whale actually came out a bit small, and drilling the matching pattern accurately will be a challenge. Go with at least 1/4" plate, big oversized holes, and large hole spacing- this will make it much easier when installation time comes.

Good luck with the project!

--Rob

NLCTVWguy said:
I'm sure you can build a cool rack from rear triangles or ladies front triangles- lots of donors out there at least.

The bolts you want to anchor the unit to the concrete are called "Hilti's" - the company is best known for gun-type devices that shoot a bolt or nail into concrete, but their best product is the expanding anchor bolt or nut inserts that go into a drilled hole in concrete.

Installing requires a hammer drill (or any power drill with a hammer setting on it) and a correct sized concrete bit for drilling the pilot holes for the size of anchor you want. For something as solid as a bike rack, you'll probably want at least 3/8"-16 hardware. Bike racks can receive a lot of abuse and you'll need big bolts to keep them solid.

Our group has installed a couple of racks around town and soon will be installing this one, built by a local blacksmith/artist (She's AWESOME!) A whale rack for an elementary school in the Whaling City:
whalerack2.jpg

whalerack5.jpg

Since mounting something for public use like this is so important, make sure you weld on LARGE mounting feet. The plates on the whale actually came out a bit small, and drilling the matching pattern accurately will be a challenge. Go with at least 1/4" plate, big oversized holes, and large hole spacing- this will make it much easier when installation time comes.

Good luck with the project!

--Rob

Cool rack!

nice rack

Latest posts

Back