BIG WOODY !!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

I just dig steel bikes and get totally 'lost' checking out all the amazing bikes on RRB, but I only know how to whisper wood !!
One hundredsomething pieces of wood make up a frame... they are generally hollow and have a magic ride.
If Steel is Real ! .... Wood is Wonderful, and Marvellous !!

Beach%20Cruiser%20018.jpg

WebSiteBikes

uO3tIfdKLxDWFtYUzgLmJdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

WebSiteBikes

WebSiteBikes

T8aVf4Ylb6g7Uz6pklYf_dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

NIce bike. I fixed your first picture. Try right clicking on the pictures and click on "Copy image URL", then paste between the IMG tags.

Thanks Cman
I'll have another go ... I think I got it !!

I hope you all can understand where I'm coming from...
This is two full time years work .. but I forgot to take many build photos.

I'm sure in time, this side of building will develop... there is so much room for expression...
From an engineering point of view, wood has many things going for it apart from growing on trees...!!
And if 'composites and collaborations' with other materials are investigated all manner of things will be possible.
I'm just please to be part of it, and very much appreciate the artistry of RRB builders.

Please remember !
By Pizza not Petrol !!

Beach%2520Cruiser%2520057.jpg

Cruising SPD's ... the only way to roll !!

Odarawa%2520Kerin%2520Track%2520.JPG

The Big Woody on the Odawara Kirin Track - Tokyo Japan

Beach%2520Cruiser%2520053.jpg

Details ...

Beach%2520Cruiser%2520046.jpg

Shooting Star !

Beach%2520Cruiser%2520054.jpg

Jigsaw .... Tasmanian Huon Pine and Purple Heart saddle ..

Woody%2520No%25202%2520025.jpg

Are you feeling it ?? ...
'Stand aside or bare a child'... Single Speed frame !! (1.8kg)

RIMG1964.JPG

Fastback details ...before

Woody%2520No%25202%2520001.jpg

After ...

RIMG1943.JPG

Recycled skirting boards and seat post inserts...

IMG_0975.JPG

Another idea... the Gutter Buster ...IBeam ode to the Beach Cruiser

Woody%2520No%25202%2520011.jpg

Back in the day .. MDF patterns

Woody%2520No%25202%2520057.jpg

I'm in a spin .... Hollow seat post blank ready for turning ...

Woody%2520No%25202%2520074.jpg

Upside Down !

Hakone%2520Ride%2520021.jpg

Twin Turbo !

P1010092.JPG

Dream

Awesome work! Beautiful bikes!
Been thinking myself about a plywood and carbon fibre sandwich frame, but never had I thought about the level of detail you have gone to!
Truly amazing work! :D

Luke.

Thanks Luke ... and others,
Just remember if you lay up your ply's its better to have them horizontal than vertical in the frame if its 'ride quality' your after. This makes it somewhat more difficult to build because a big sheet of ply lends itself to drawing out the profile of the bike, cutting it out and Bingo ... your riding in no time flat.

My first woody was built like that when on holiday in Japan with just a hand plane, a pull saw and a drill and i rode it all over the Japanese Alps. It was made by gluing 2 sheets of 3mm ply on each side to form a frame with natural wood infills top and bottom to complete the tubes.
It flexed when climbing and other riders said that the BB was swing with every pedal stroke on the flats ...but heck, it was lots of fun to ride !!
Its just an amazing feeling to make a fame and ride it over the mountains and into the distance...

The problem with this approach is when you want to go light weight and build stiff frames..
The laminated layers (ply's) need to be 'across the frame'. But frames being what they are, are only 40 to 50 mm across, so this is the place to get the most out of your laminates by including carbon or glass fibbers in the glue lines.
Also, If you start using natural wood don't rely on only one grain direction if forces will be applied directly along it.

As you can imagine laminating horizontally will brace against sideways forces of peddling and still by nature allow some 'give' to tame vertical road forces ...
All of this thinking 'maybe important' if you want to build 'light' and intend spending long hours in the saddle training, touring or commuting etc...

'Cruiser bikes' are generally under a lot less stress...so its a good place to start... and achieving a light weight frame is not an issue if your only trying to be lighter than the average Chinese frame ...

Also think about this saying ...
More of a good thing is not necessarily Better !!
Which for me means ...don't make EVERYTHING out of wood ...

IMG_0477.JPG

Thanks for the advice Cycle Tragic! I think for me it will be more about seeing if I can do it as opposed to how light I can build it. My idea is not hollow frames but full width solid plys with every third one a layer of carbon... And yes, cruiser style... :wink:

Luke.

Awesome work. Beautiful bikes you've created. Like that your sharing your knowledge for others as well.

I had been looking at those driftwood cruisers and thinking how it would be cool to combine my desire to do wood working again and combine my love of bikes with it. But like lots o things, maybe in time.

Woods a sculptural material and 'going solid' is a quick way to let fly your creative energy... Keep sanding till you find all the beautiful lines, they're in there somewhere !

If you go solid and glue up in layers.. forget the Carbon / Glass ... its not needed unless your thinking of jumping the 'puppy' over the Grand Canyon !!
Going 'Solid' is already 'over building' If your game to get on the 'slippery slope' ... you can cut holes in the middle layers ... but think about it first... leave an internal structural lattice if your worried...

Layers are good, so you don't have single direction grain ... The glue lines dissipates stress so splitting is not/less of an issue. Glass or Carbon weave in these glue lines will have a similar effect as well as resisting tension forces along a beam. Carbon, if sanded a lot can end up in the surrounding wood grain..
Use a 'thickened epoxy' for glue ups ...and a 'hardened epoxy' for metal to wood.... also have multiple fixing (mechanical and chemical) for headsets and dropouts
Some woods are much lighter or heavier than others... use each woods density, colour, flexibility etc where they will benefit the overall intention of bike.

One beauty of wood apart form... it smells good, grows on trees, sinks CO2, and you can pinch it from your neighbours fence... is it has 'high cycles of fatigue', meaning that it handles flexing better than most other frame materials. Another is that it absorbs shock and vibes beautifully. Did I mention that chicks love a Big Woody ...

We just need to learn to build 'light enough' to let woods properties 'work' to achieve new levels of ride quality.
Also remember ... when you start building bike frames in wood you can push the limits of woodworking ... not many 'bookshelves' are hammered down a mountain at 80 / 100 kph with someones life depending on it !! ...

But that kind of thinking didn't stop the plane builders ...

Thanks for showing us your artistic creations!!!
Truly works of Art! and Engineering!!

Onewheelsqueel said:
Awesome work. Beautiful bikes you've created. Like that your sharing your knowledge for others as well.

I had been looking at those driftwood cruisers and thinking how it would be cool to combine my desire to do wood working again and combine my love of bikes with it. But like lots o things, maybe in time.
My sentiments exactly!
Cycle tragic, my friend you build some beautiful, artful bikes! I look forward to seeing more of your talent on here.
Roly...

Very nice work. I built a wood bike about 7 years ago. It was made similar to your first bike. Baltic Birch plywood on each side with construction grade laminated veneer lumber(LVL)for the center. The integrated rear rack and seat were also made from the LVL.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Thanks so much for the comments everyone...
Somehow as much as I like playing with this 'new medium' for frames .. I'm thinking it just misses something that comes with whole Board Track / chopped steel frame thing. So a Build Off doesn't seem to fit well.
The Beach Cruiser shape seems to work but I wood love to capture a true 'early days' Board Tracker look ... But can't see how wood would work with the meanness of that style ...

Maybe the way to go apart from 'beachy' is something completely different like my other true love ... Tall Bike or even dare I say it Cargo Bike ... Which I have a pretty wild design for both on the back burner. It's only the 'metal bits' that hold me back.

I know one thing ... The metal work is as important as the wood !

Let me know

Gus Duncan
Wooden Bike Test Pilot
Point Danger !
Australia

<APCC Registration and Accommodation Booking Form 2013.pdf>And in my case i need help!

Cycle Tragic said:
It's only the 'metal bits' that hold me back.

I know one thing ... The metal work is as important as the wood !
Hey Cycle Tragic!
Are you living at Point Danger, Tweed Heads?
If you need some metal pieces made, I may be able to help you out. We live in northern Victoria but we will be travelling up the coast through Toowoomba later in the year, not far from there and could meet up and drop them off. Or post them to you if you need them quicker. Let me know if I can be of assistance...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back