better late than never

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here she is, my entry. I think it's a schwinn knock off from the late fifties or sixties. When I got it, it was rusty and reddish with no markings. Sorry about the late progress pictures, my camera was on the fritz. Anyways I've already painted her with some rustoleum satin accent paprika(my new favorite satin paint, It's like a nice satin red primer), and some krylon semi flat black, and a little striping with white(still learning to pinstripe)
bbo1.jpg

I was hesitant to use this frame because it had some bad history, I guess it had thrown about three people to the ground in unexpected accidents. Oh well, live like there's no tommorrow, right?
bbotop.jpg

[/img]

This is my first donor bike for the project. Just scored it the other day from a farm where it had been run over and left for dead in the bushes. The back wheel was destroyed as was the back fender, but I scored a lot of nice parts off it, headset, forks, sprocket, crank, pedals, grips, stem, etc. all pure schwinn suburban.
suburb2.jpg

suburb1.jpg

bboparts.jpg

bbofrnt.jpg

Sorry about the late pictures.

nice paint job. I bought the satin for my bike too. It is good to see what it looks like.

found my seat, crusty and rusty, just the way I like it:
seat1top.jpg

seat1bot.jpg

seat1side.jpg

twenty minutes with the brillo on a stick:
polish3.jpg

shinytable1.jpg

shiny1.jpg

and it's nice and shiny, with a finish you can't get anywhere else but with a little help from good ole mother nature.

now tryin' to decide on chainguards:
skyride3.jpg

i like the skyrider but i think the black looks a little better
chainblk.jpg

awww i'll decide later, things always change.

Nice dude, Coming along good. Ur pretty good with a brush man... Its gonna be pretty when done haha

had to ditch the shiny headset for the original, polished to rat status:
headset.jpg

oh yeah, and my forks came, not too ratty but I can't afford those hundred dollar monarks I dream about.
shinyfork2.jpg

here's my wheels, one from a dump score western flyer, one from the bike gods?
wheels.jpg

komet.jpg

and my tires:
tread.jpg

tires.jpg

ready to roll
shinywheels.jpg

not that exciting, I know, but it's all part of the process i guess.

what do you mean"Not that exciting"
it's looking good...And those tires!

I think Rat Rod has the same one's...
and I want those tires....and a set of Monarch Double Springers...
just as bad!

it's looking great!

keep postin up pic's...it's the same when restoring or Rodding a Car!
you always wish after that you had taken more Pictures..

looking great Yustin :mrgreen:
peace,
Kev.

wanted to lower my seating a bit
step1.jpg

i couldn't get my hands on anything else so i pillaged my 48 higgins for its post
post1.jpg

first i had to fit the smaller bracket back into a beat seat
brak1.jpg

adjust2.jpg

adjust1.jpg

the seat bracket is really wacked so i had to wack it some more
adjust3.jpg

after the beating it needed some more adjustment to fit the post into the bracket so that it would sit right
adjust4.jpg

then it fit pretty good
chekalin.jpg

chekalin2.jpg

testfit.jpg

now i needed to work on the fact that the post was way too small for the seat tube. first to hack the original post a little
hackpost1.jpg

hackpost2.jpg

hackpost3.jpg

alright, I still have some play in between the old and new posts, time for some good ole emt
emt.jpg

hacked off another piece to the puzzle, that 1/2" emt is the perfect size for both the posts inside and out, I am very pleased indeed.
parts.jpg

today i did a little more painting:
btm2.jpg

blk1.jpg

tapeoff.jpg

btmfram.jpg

stripe.jpg

i got a long way to go with the striping, but i thought i'd give it a try
btmstrp2.jpg

btmstrp3.jpg

topfram.jpg

Latest posts