Best live concert...ever?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sabbath, Winnebago County Fair with my dad, Rockford, IL '76

Cheap Trick, Live on TV in grade school, Rockford, IL '79

Black Flag, Channel, Rockford, IL '84

Bad Brains, Vic Theater, Chicago '86

Dwarves, Medusa's, Chicago '87

Killdozer, Vic Theater, Chicago '88

Zeke, The High Dive, Champaign, IL '98

Dictators, Empty Bottle, Chicago '99

Guitar Wolf, Abbey Pub, Chicago '05

And I'm sure I don't remember a ton more.

I see a ton of live music, usually local bands (we saw over 100 shows last year) but last night I got to see a local band in their hometown and it was incredible!
Slipknot in Des Moines!
Trivium = rockin
Coheed and Cambria = zzzzzzz
Slipknot = absolute destruction!

Certainly not the best show ever, but the best show of my life, is kinda a two part deal; in '96 my broke rockabilly friends and I used what little money we hadnt wasted on PBR to buy tickets to see the good Reverend Horton Heat at the ventura theater (in ventura). Anyway, we didnt have much money, so we had this great scheme to camp out in a friends (who we secretly called "the bearded lady") uncles back yard. For whatever reason, when we got to ventura the backyard option didnt pan out so we would have to sleep in the car. Anyway, so we got in early, sneaking in several fifth's of whisky because most of us were to young to drink, then proceded to get drunk. One of the more memorable moments there was when one of our group, Dave Deroo (who currently plays with a band of minor fame, Adema) was on the edge the balcony above well-know idiot, Riki Rachtman, and let one of the biggest, nastiest loogies Ive ever seen leave a persons mouth, fall atop Mr. Rachtman's wannabe rockstar head. I was very very intoxicated at the time, but I remember thinking of how funny I thought it was.... The show was absolutely awesome, I had to elbow the people behind me trying to get my space in the front row of the standing room only crowd. After a truly rockin' show, my friends and I went around to the back (or side, I dont remember) to see if we could meet the Rev or Jimbo, (we didnt like Scotty). Soon both Jimbo and the Rev came out and we told them how awesome we thought they were and they were drunk, we were drunk, and i dont remember much. However, they did invite us to their next show in Hollywoood where they said there would be a special suprise, and comped us tickets to see it.

The following weekend we made the trip to Hollywood and the show line up was pretty much the same, but the marquee featured the Rev and "special guest". That show was awesome too, and we got to chat with the good Rev for a bit before again, but when his set started it felt different. They kept bringing him vodka tonics, and he kept emptying them. Finally, at one point his cup went dry and he stopped a song mid way and walked up to the microphone and asked, "What does a guy have to do to get a drink around here? Do I need to bring out a friggin celebrity?" Just then a shadowy figure appears from behind the set and it is none other than Brian Setzer (before his full-wuss status). The crowd went crazy! Jim and Brian broke out with Rumble in Brighton, and then they did a Rev song, I dont remember which. After that it all goes hazy for about four years, until right before I meet my wife.

And that was the greatest concert memory *I remember*.

David Bowie Reunion Arena 87
Pink Floyd Texas Stadium 88 A few buddies and I got my dad's skybox for the concert 8)
Jimmy Buffett in the Woodlands 94

Let's see... I saw Santana twice. Once in 97 and again in 99. Both awesome shows. The first time, he had burning spear, rusted root, and ziggy marley and the wailers with him. He brought out all the bands and they went through a bunch of bob marley songs. It was AMAZING. Then I saw him with Mana and Ozomatli, and that show was amazing too. Seen a bunch of punk bands, and as far as I'm concerned NOFX puts on one of the best punk rock shows ever. Saw BrandNew twice, they rocked. Last really good show was Jimmy Eat World. They played with a band called Paramore, who I had never heard. But both those bands have amazing stage presence. That's about it...

The first concert I ever saw was Molly Hatchet and the Outlaws in the New Haven Colliseum in '78 I believe. But I've seen Stevie Ray Vaughn, Billy Idol, The Ramones, B.B.King, Steppenwolf, The Tragically Hip, Eric Burden and the Animals and a few more. The '80's are a bit of a blur! I recently saw Australian Pink Floyd and was very impressed. But the best concert of all time for me was 'The Reverend Horton Heat' opening for 'Social Distortion'. I went to really see S.D. but The Rev. blew them away. I got a signed copy of 'Smoke em if you got em' that night. Go see the Rev. if you have the chance. I.M.O. the best 3 piece band going.

ej599 said:
But the best concert of all time for me was 'The Reverend Horton Heat' opening for 'Social Distortion'. I went to really see S.D. but The Rev. blew them away. I got a signed copy of 'Smoke em if you got em' that night. Go see the Rev. if you have the chance. I.M.O. the best 3 piece band going.

How long ago did you see them? The "smoke 'em if you got 'em" tour was in '96, the same one I saw. Social D plays allllllll the time in bako here, and Mike Ness plays here solo alllll the time as well, I think he likes the fact that this is Buck's claimed home, and the original home of Merle Haggard. BR5-49 also plays here habitually, as does Cake, being being big fan's of Buck.

Have to agree, if they still play the same type of show, the Rev puts on an amazing concert, Jimbo climbin up on his bass helps some too! :wink:

Saw The Reverend Horton Heat once at a club in Denton, TX....right near the edge of campus on Fry Street.

That would have been back in 92 I think.

Doh! I am soo wrong. Smoke em if you got em was released in 90. i was thinkin martini time (not a good album). Yeah, early Rev w/Taz would have been great to see.

I saw the Rev a few months ago for the first time.... it was SWEET....

my fav show ever was Gwar the first time I saw them it was amazing but then my musical choices changed and well now its country for me!

Souvenirs from my glory days. The best concert? They were *all* good! B607
DSC03570.jpg

B607 said:
Souvenirs from my glory days. The best concert? They were *all* good! B607
DSC03570.jpg

WOW! I see some big names there. You must be about my age so....can you take some close ups? :oops: :)

Closer? I'll try. They wouldn't give me the ticket stubs at some of the shows so I've been to a few more than this. First one was 1973, last rock show was 1986. Saw Andy Williams and Jim Stafford in '98 in Branson but not sure if they count. :roll:
The prices on the tickets are what's amazing. Led Zep for $8.50 in '75. Johnny and Edgar Winter for $3. ZZ Top, $5.50 for row 3 main floor seats. I wonder how many missing brain cells these ticket stubs represent? :mrgreen:
DSC03572.jpg

DSC03573.jpg

I saw Queensryche and as far as a stage show, they had actors, a light show, videos and it was all going along with the music. It was really cool.
Then back in 93' I saw The Eagles on their heck Freezes Over tour. The amazing thing about that one was after all of the years of listening to the album (that's right, album) They opened up with Hotel California and it sounded exactly the same.

Seeing Ian Moore at the same venue is a close second.
I saw Ian Moore at a hole in houston called Fitzgeralds. It's probably still there but back when I saw him there he was like 17, and you could look through a hole in the wall by the urinal and see people walking in. I also saw the Arc Angels at Pat and Pete's Bon Ton Room off of Washington in Houston before that area was home to $$$$ lofts and condos. It was a really bad neighborhood then and I had friends that wouldn't drive there. I was never set on one particular type of music. Times, as well as myself are different now. I really want to go see Family Force 5. :mrgreen:

Pink Floyd 1977 in Tampa. Roasted all day in the sun, then a cool beeze came in as they came onstage. In Quad.

Second best was the first concert I went to, J Geils, before they went pop, back in 1976. Toledo.

Not a big fan of large groups. So far and few between. But seen deftones, white zombie(basses was hot and rocked the house)and pantera(rip dime). Was kickin some hacky sack in the back of the arena with the people I went with after deftones. When up walks 6 scantily clad females with the golden tickets hangin from a string around their necks with 4 of the BIGGEST dudes I've ever seen. Females asked if they could join in. Was kickin the sack for a min with them when who rolls up to retrieve his groupies but Phil himself. Said what's up to everyone and was gone.

But would have to say the best was when I was down and out kickin rocks going through a rough patch. My little brother tracks me down and says come on brah I got you a ticket to a show and all you gotta do is jump in. I was broke and said man I don't have any cash to really have any fun. He said I got you call it a present from me to you. Jumped in said who we going to see. Wouldn't tell me. Didn't find out till he gave me the ticket at the door.

Black Sabbath reunion tour. Was like what. No way. Made my way to the floor. Got to the opening to get into the floor area and was stopped by the staff. Ticket please!!! was pondering why they wanted to see my ticket to go on the floor. Stamped my hand and said 6th row front about half way in. Looked at my brother puzzled. He said this is gunna rock and gave me a wink.

Deftones,Pantera and Black Sabbath. He was right it rocked. Still to this day don't know how much he paid for them tickets.

I've caught some amazing shows in my life, but there are a few standouts... The Cramps at Irving Plaza on the Fiends of Dope Island tour, CockSParrer at CBGB on their first US tour, David Johansen on New Paltz campus playing accoustic blues to like 30 people 5 years ago, and Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard & Ray Price 2 years ago are the best I can remember.
At the Willie Nelson show, there were about 8 of us at this huge out door venue, and we were way up on the hill. The seated area was way expensive, so we opted for the slightly less expensive open field beyond the amphitheater. My buddy Chris and I got pretty drunk, and decided it was a really good idea to sneak into the seated area when Willie went on. We made it past a guard by hopping a barrier when his back was turned, and quickly took some seats. A few songs later, we snuck down closer. Then we had to go to the bathroom, which was outside the seated area. We tried to get back in, and the guard asked to see our tickets. Drunk as we were, the best Chris could come up with was "Ummm... our mom has them." He was about to kick us out, when another guard said, "Nah, they're okay. I saw them in there earlier." Score! Sometimes it pays off to be covered in tattoos. We got back in and went straight to the front, and enjoyed the most amazing set ever. Shook Willie's hand when he was going off stage. One of the coolest moments of my life.

Best concert:
For me, it would have to be Van Halen at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre. It was the Gary Cherone period (I prefer Hagar), but I still got to see Eddie, Alex and Mike......Awesome!!!!

Best after concert experience:
Charlie Daniels at Tamworth 1998. Charlie announced that he would be signing autographs out the back of the venue about 30 minutes after the show. I had a couple of beers and headed out to the signing tent expecting to have to line up for ages - there were only two other guys in front of me and nobody else behind me ??? When I got to the table I nearly peed myself when Charlie said "Sit down in that chair right there" (sound familiar?), then he sat down and said "I'm a old man and I've been standin' up for the last few hours". We then spoke for about five minutes until somebody else came up for their turn. Had a mile wide smile for days :D :D :D .

Latest posts

Back