Belo Bambino

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fabbed a splash guard between the seat post & baby seat, since there will be no rear fender.

Installed the floor plate
IMG_20160529_114822.jpg
IMG_20160529_114850.jpg
on the trailer; some Victorian embellishments will fill out the detail of the floor plate.

As it has been stated several times already, your method for simulating rust looks great!

This may be something that is already in your plans, but if I could be so bold, I'd like to make a suggestion. The more rusty pieces that you add to the bike, the more it's starting to look somewhat monotone. I'd like to see some color in places to break things up just a little. We have to imagine that this machine was once freshly painted and with time rust has taken it over. This would normally leave behind traces of the original paint in some of the more protected nooks and crannies. I would also imagine that the original machine was not completely one color either.

For instance, I would think that this piece (below) would've originally had a different color grill than the frame around it and possibly another color on the tubular bits around the sides or the flourish on the bottom panel etc.
index.php

I'm not suggesting to add very much color at all, just a hint of left over paint strategically worked in here and there. There is a risk of over doing this and making it look worse in place of enhancing it. Less is more (if that make sense).

I did a quick google image search of rusty metal and found this example:
Old+Boat+House+9.jpg

As I said, what you're doing looks great, so take what I said with a grain of salt. I'm really enjoying watching this one develop, keep it up!

TRM, I respect your opinion and totally agree. I was starting to grow tired of total rust; unless this bike had been submerged in Neptune's Tomb.

Once I get all the bits built, will tackle adding some interest and highlight the details. Thank you for the much appreciated critique and honesty.
So, I share that same desire for a few 'added touches of paint left over from days gone by' on my One - Liner (which by the way, must have been submerged in Neptune's Tomb, because all of the raw steel parts were rusted to the same color / degree!). My question to you @The Renaissance Man and others...how does one achieve this in my 'post rustified' state? As you said, it is easy to over do, and I really like the rustification as is...but would like to add some color.

So, I share that same desire for a few 'added touches of paint left over from days gone by' on my One - Liner (which by the way, must have been submerged in Neptune's Tomb, because all of the raw steel parts were rusted to the same color / degree!). My question to you @The Renaissance Man and others...how does one achieve this in my 'post rustified' state? As you said, it is easy to over do, and I really like the rustification as is...but would like to add some color.

Odd Job, that is big question. I will be experimenting with some alternatives. If I come up with an acceptable solution, will share.

If You, TRM or other fellow RRB's come up with a method, please share.

Okay, took some O D Green Satin water base exterior paint and brushed lightly with a sponge brush. Then sprayed with water bottle and used a hair dryer to dry quickly.

First attempt to integrate some color in to the rust base coat. Going try black & blue when I get to the store later in the week.
IMG_20160601_131828.jpg

Nicely integrated! I can see the green, and it looks very natural. That's funny....I just picked out a muted green color for my attempt on the One-Liner.....if the wind dies down tomorrow....I will give it a 'shot'....

Your success with this is really upping the ante!

Looking great lots of unique part really adds to the detail . Using every day house hold parts is the key I think on these old steam punks . Some type of I control panel maybe near the baby seat would be cool keep the little one occupied or up front of the bike . Also a old horn would be good to have on it ....
fc934b108409d586513d20bafd9e6489.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back