BO15 Beiwagenmaschine Type II (finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the garage provides again. These are perfect.
IMG_20200726_171758.jpg
IMG_20200726_171630.jpg
IMG_20200726_171619.jpg

It's funny how you keep going and little details like this cable make you happy. It was still in the bag in a bulk purchase from a closing bike shop. It managed to antique itself in there. I like the way it continues the pinstripe on the rear fender to the front of the bike. I really love the way this rides already. I am going to have to make the sidecar something that can be removed easily. I really need a trailer to take the Beiwagenmaschine anywhere. Once I have it in the back of the truck there isn't room for anything else and this one will be wider
IMG_20200727_114142.jpg

the not the chainside can be beautiful too is all I am saying
IMG_20200727_113447.jpg
IMG_20200727_113343.jpg

FB_IMG_1594850207907.jpg

the Beiwagenmaschine

Last edited:
Side car, eh? Cool. So I was looking at your last photos of the build on this page and thought, "Wow, that's a cool saddle. I wonder what all went into that?" Cuz it looked so kustom.
Just went back through your whole thread, and there were hints at what you were thinking of doing for a saddle, but no process. And then BAM. All of a sudden on page 5, there it was. Can you 'enlighten' us about the amalgamation you have perched on your seat post?
nosferatu saddle.jpg

Sorry to blow up you notifications with likes. I had a ton of pages of progress to catch up on. This build is such a killer rat. I love the stance and pretty much all of the work you have done with this beast. It really has a super groove to it!!!!

Side car, eh? Cool. So I was looking at your last photos of the build on this page and thought, "Wow, that's a cool saddle. I wonder what all went into that?" Cuz it looked so kustom.
Just went back through your whole thread, and there were hints at what you were thinking of doing for a saddle, but no process. And then BAM. All of a sudden on page 5, there it was. Can you 'enlighten' us about the amalgamation you have perched on your seat post?
View attachment 130742
That one is a Lepper Primus. I buy them used from a guy in Poland I think. He always had about a dozen for sale for around $100 in eBay. The vintage ones have very nice leather. They are huge saddles. I use them whenever I need the bike to be taller but I don't want a lot of extra seatpost. It finishes at the same height the saddle I planned to make will. I might just leave it though and save that old long spring frame for another bike. These things ride like a cloud.
FB_IMG_1595948519383.jpg

I also buy these cheap $30 knockoff flying pigeon leather saddles from India. The frames and springs are hot garbage but the leather is good. I just toss the frames and rivet them onto old longspring frames when I don't feel like buying new $150 Brooks saddle covers
IMG_20200728_102531.jpg

IMG_20200728_102537.jpg

So basically for thirty dollars I can borrow the cover from another saddle and put it on one of these old frames I get really cheap and have something new. I also attached a solo polo to one of these broken frames
IMG_20200728_103150.jpg

It's one of Kate's favorite saddles
FB_IMG_1588613332083.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to blow up you notifications with likes. I had a ton of pages of progress to catch up on. This build is such a killer rat. I love the stance and pretty much all of the work you have done with this beast. It really has a super groove to it!!!!
No worries man. I threw my saddlebags on it last night and they kind of look organic back there. I rode it again last night and it is time to cinch up those spokes. I can hear them creaking. It takes a few miles for the bend in them to take. Still worth it for the over the top details factor. I really appreciate the compliment. I have been thinning out my "pile of brown bricks" so commiting to just making whatever I have here work always turns into something "Ratrod".
IMG_20200727_203146.jpg

It still looks like an idea worth doing this morning
IMG_20200728_102555.jpg

Last edited:
I still have a hollowed out Magic 8 Ball that I hope to use as a monster rod stick shift knob someday.

View attachment 130755
Yeah I wanted a tall shift knob here but the trigger shift spring couldn't handle it so instead of extra springs and something that might rattle... Plus I would have had to make something to hide the shifter in so. Anyway I figured out how to pack it in the tank and I really like the way it turned out. Using the twist grip is cool but I wanted to do something different

And it is pouring rain outside. Now I wish I hadn't made such a mess digging through the parts bins. There is zero clean floors in the shop and I don't feel like putting it all away so I can dig through it later for something I forgot.
IMG_20200728_120007.jpg

Normally that would not be a problem but I am remodeling the kitchen and the laundry room so every thing is stuffed in my "office" right now until I move the washer and dryer to the other side of the room and finish the tile
IMG_20200728_121900.jpg

IMG_20200728_121807.jpg

That would not be such a big deal but Kate just replaced the floors in the living room so I am not allowed to use bicycle tools in here anymore sitting in the floor with grinders and welding or whatever.
IMG_20200728_121945.jpg

I could technically do it is the kitchen but I'll never be able to get a sidecar out these doors plus she'll probably kill me
IMG_20200728_122025.jpg

The last time I was welding on the back porch in the rain I electrocuted myself and the welder burst into flames. That is technically why I never finished this one.
IMG_20200728_123220.jpg

By the time I bought a new welder I had already lost interest and was too busy at work

Last edited:
Funny story, this tile is all new because I hated what was here before but also because I legit caught the old tile on fire. It was that weirdo stuff that has like some kind of printed onto it pattern and came with the house. I mean who knew tile could catch on fire? Not me man. I also burned holes in the tile in the kitchen so... Whatever. No more build stuff in the house except for my distressed cherry office floor that I can't get into. (I can just sand out the bad spots and stain them. She can't even tell something happened in there)
IMG_20200728_124230.jpg

I am trying to clean up and reorganize the shop a little so I have room for a sidecar in here in case we keep getting more rain. It is taking too long so I put a couple of trophies in the prize pool for Class I and Class II in that order. Honestly I think competing in class I is much harder.
IMG_20200728_163435.jpg
IMG_20200728_163311.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back