BO15 Beer Run

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my first build today for this forum and build off, I hope this post is done correctly, my apologies if it isn't! The frame is a 2014 Schwinn Signature S1, I am prepping the front fork to do a practice paint job on to see how it turns out. I may throw on a used springer fork, they usually look better IMO. The hunt continues for a donor bike for some parts, we'll see what the garage sales turn up today! Stay tuned for some more update!

Attachments

• IMG_20200612_164933580.jpg
    IMG_20200612_164933580.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 97
Good looking stuff to start a build with.

Tip: hit the "attach all files as full images" button and the pics will be big without us having to click on them.
Welcome to the buildoff!

Welcome to RRB and the madness of the Build Off.
My first build was also called BEER RUN back in Build Off 6. I think it is great to have another Beer Run ten Build Offs later.
Have fun!

My experience with clear coat is a mixed bag. Especially on the faux tina paint jobs, and I've done a few, it can sometimes end up being 'too shiny' . The satin clear still has a sheen to it when it is applied. Also, if you do decide to clear it, make sure you get the one that is compatible with your paint. Some guys have also used different oils and varnishes and stains to 'seal' their paint jobs and give it a more 'finished' ( pun intended) / realistic look.

I've also used car wax on an original patina job to kind of give it that 'vintage fresh' look. If you don't polish it out to much, it sort of retains the aged look, without making it too shiny.

Here's a couple examples to show what I mean:

'77 Sting ray faded paint how I found it, and then cleaned it with white vinegar and water, and put new decals on, then car wax over the top.
1977 schwinn stingray seat and sissy close up.jpg
Stingray Final 7.jpg

My Mesa Buggie build, old rusty frame to start, white vinegar treatment to take off the real crusty stuff, then Zinsser spar varnish to seal the original patina.
Frame the way I got it, and I faux-tina-ed a gloss black fork to get close to the old patina frame:
IMG_20160129_150915.jpg

Frame and fork with Zinsser's spar varnish (clear, the amber works too) on finished build:

IMG_20160203_150356.jpg

If you are looking for achieving a heavier fauxtina look, there are ways to get that too. Let me know if you have questions or want some hints on various methods.

This forum is all about exchange of ideas and input. After six years here building bikes, I've learned so much from others!

Thanks for the input OddJob, I used Rustoleum spray pain so I will look in to their clear coat options. Maybe there is a different type of stain/sealant I can used that will make it look a little more authentic. The input is super helpful!

I love faux patinas and I’ve started to like shiny patina some.

Let me speak some on oils, well just one. I was turned onto boiled linseed oil in this forum. I used it on a true rust patina on a 56 JC Higgins. I knocked the crust off with steel wool and then wiped it down. Years later the patina/rust is the same as it was when I applied. It gives such an awesome vintage look. I have since used boiled linseed oil on new paint, old paint, rust, the plastic in my truck, tires, and more. It’s awesome stuff.

A warning, evidently if you leave your boiled linseed oil rags in a pile they can spontaneously combust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started to re-assemble today, was able to get the paint done last week and totally forgot to take a picture. I wound up using boiled linseed oil to finish the paint. I wasn't originally planning on putting the white walls and heavy duty rims on this bike but I really am liking the look. We'll see if I stick with them. Tomorrow I'll finish putting everything back together and mocking up with these wheels. Excuse the mess, it started bro rain and had to pull everything in the shop
IMG_20200802_180235058_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back