Bck in Blck

Discussion in 'CLASS 1 - MUSCLE BIKE 2019 BUILD JOURNALS' started by ClarenceB, Jan 12, 2020.

1. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

here is the new rear wheel. i am happy how it turned out. black hub / black spokes / black nipples / black rim.....bck in blck and some fatti-o whitewall

new wheel.jpg

2. Starnger

Starnger

Awesome! Love those Fatti-o's! So hard to get nowadays!

Georgeediii likes this.
  3. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

Today I dropped off the hardware at a plating company. I want it all black. bck in blck

plating.JPG

Tomorrow I should get the fork back, hopefully usable!

Dr. Tankenstein and RustyGold like this.
  4. sdframe

sdframe

Wow. This is gonna be a good one.

5. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

Success, at least the fork is done semi - correct but the bushings will cover that powder residue anyways. I also got the chain ring back and the black shifter bell. There are still parts trickling in from powder and plating. This is a nail biter again!

springer powdered 1.jpg black chainring.jpg black shifter bell.jpg

6. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

I've got most of the powder stuff back and went ahead to press the new headset bearings in to install the fork.....just to realize this.....!!!

oh shit.JPG steering column too short.JPG

That is not a small set back. I'd have to extend the steering column significantly. That's precision welding and above my skill level. I gotta make some calls........that's what happens if everything is last minute.

Starnger likes this.
  7. Starnger

Starnger

You are in the Netherlands, right? I am sure Karim at Custom Cruisers Zwolle can help you out. Also Bram Reitsma have done extension like that for his Revil bike, with significantly longer head tube then yours. Keep in mind, that the fork might need more modification, then just steerer extension, since the top crown would sit differently on a longer steerer. Get a bunch of spacers, washers and extended nuts just in case.
    Nice build, i wish you luck to finish it in time!
    Btw, never knew Sparker head tube was different size then Delivery (though they are different angle actually). Or maybe mine Monark springer have a longer steerer from the beginning?

ClarenceB likes this.
  8. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

Thank you so much! According to the seller, all these types of monark forks have steering columns with identical lengths. That's apparently why those forks aren't used for Electras. Good to know.....lol.

9. Starnger

Starnger

As far as i know there is more then just one company producing this repop monark forks, so maybe the others have it different.
    Some pic from internet:[​IMG]

Brian macumber, sandman and RustyGold like this.
  10. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

Yeah, no doubt! No way my seller knows the entire market, no one really does. I was merely quoting him. I am glad you found another example, quite impressive since I couldn't find any. Not even the Electra forums have any. The image you posted is very interesting for another reason. It appears to be a 'threaded' version of that fork, which I have never seen either. I am also not sure which Electra frame that is and how long that head tube is on this one. The 'threaded' present a whole different challenge since you can't cut off the thread to shorten the steering tube. That's why there is a stack of spacers installed on this one. Welding these steering tubes is tricky since the tube needs to be attached absolutely straight otherwise it won't steer. Wish me luck!

11. OddJob

OddJob

Clarence, I'm not sure where you are located, but if you are in the USA anywhere, there is a warehouse for JBI.bike (formerly J & B Imports) that services your local bike shop close by.

They are a great source for all kinds of bicycle parts, and carry the repop springer forks as well. Theirs in the Monark style are branded Sunlite. Here's a link to the forks I found distributed by them through your local dealer.

https://www.jbi.bike/site/search_us...THREADED&x4=26in#FORKS_SPRINGER_THREADED_26in

If you look down the page, you will see that one of the forks comes with a 300 mm length steer tube, much longer than the 180 mm length which would fit most vintage frames. They come threaded or threadless, whichever you prefer.

The part # on this site corresponds to the part # your local shop would put on their order to JBI. You can even tell by the drop down menu tab if they are available at your closest warehouse. ( right side, box that says FL: Yes click on the arrow to see all 11 warehouses across the US).

I put one on my Hawth Rod, '59 Hawthorne that I built a few years back. Very nice forks. I added a rubber bump stop at the top to dampen the rebound, but otherwise they are solid.

83888624_209037320265990_1292957925450448896_n.jpg 83453833_112250840201074_9069281104334159872_n.jpg

12. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

not to threadjack, but:
    i LOVE this frame. It's a Hawthorne, you say? Do you know what years it was made and if it was sold under any other brands? Just so I can keep an eye out...

OddJob and sandman like this.
  13. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

@OddJob : That grey bike is a masterpiece. All the work that went into powdering that monark can truly be appreciated after going through that process. Thank you for the lead on that fork. Sounds like that is wholesale, which is why i didn't find it. Awesomeness. My shop only orders once a week and by the time i get it, it will be too late so mine will be extended with a tube welder that is super accurate. Thanks again for the help to find that fork, much appreciated.

What kind of rubber bump stop did you use? Do you mind sharing how I could get a few? Also, how did you make your signature show your previous builds? Thanks again!!!!

Starnger likes this.
  14. OddJob

OddJob

This one was hanging in my neighbor's garage. He got it to deliver papers with at age 13, used it just for that for two years, and then hung on to it without riding it for the next 55 yrs! One day he said, " You're always fooling around with those old bikes. Why don't you do something with mine?

Not sure of the model name, I might still have the chain guard on a shelf in the BACK40. I'll check when I get home in April.

ParkRNDL likes this.
  15. OddJob

OddJob

@ClarenceB , thanks for the kudos on the Hawth Rod. I actually rattle canned the frame and fork paint job with a couple coats of grey primer. It was bright red when I started!

The 'bump stops' are stool leg bumpers, with a hole in the middle for the screw. I just drilled out the hole a bit wider to fit the spring bolt. I added some appropriate sized washers to support the nut and bumpers.

You can change your signature by clicking on your name in the menu bar at the top where you are logged in. In the list of profile options, click on "Signature". You can add info there and save changes. I need to update mine, thanks for the reminder!

16. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

@OddJob Thanks for all the help!

OddJob likes this.
  17. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

@OddJob Since you 'rattle canned' the springer, you may be familiar with all these parts. Mine are powdered to match the OG gloss black paint of the bike. I had to remove the powder from the area of these links on the bottom that are in contact with the fork as the powder acted like glue and prevented the fork from freely moving. The powder guys did a good job of not powdering the inside of these links.

Springer Link.JPG

springer part 1.jpg

OddJob likes this.
  18. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

19. Starnger

Starnger

I had to buy special powder coating masking tape myself, and always mask all the stuff prior go giving it to powdercoater. Still sometimes i find surprises and do have to spend time cleaning it up. But hey, the durability of the coat worth the effort. Now i am about to try to work with a new coater, who have done some awesome job on few bikes i have seen, and as i am concerned is up for some experimentation!

ClarenceB likes this.
  20. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

@Starnger Yeah, that's a lesson I had to learn. Masking your own pieces is the way to go as well as experimenting with the skill level of the powder industry - which could vastly differ from shop to shop!

OddJob and Starnger like this.