BBBBO: Big Box Bike Build Off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Realizing that not everyone lives in an area with tons of old bikes, I was wondering if there'd be interested in a dept store bike buildoff? I see a few bikes with potential on the big box websites and the local craigslist and thought it might be interesting to "level the playing field" and have everyone start with a bike that's accessible to everyone.

and NO, Elgin doesn't count as a Big Box Bike!

I like it. There are some great box store bikes in BO11.

1990 is probably a good cutoff although i have no idea how we'd police that. I think we're all saavy enough to spot a retail store bike but date checking might be difficult. Open to any suggestions.

I can dig it.
Not sure how soon I'd be able to get involved, but I do have a Nel Lusso frame I could start with.

[QUOTENew
1990 is probably a good cutoff although i have no idea how we'd police that. I think we're all saavy enough to spot a retail store bike but date checking might be difficult.
Open to any suggestions

macncheese,
][/QUOTE]

I just picked that time period just because it seems that is when cruisers became popular again starting with electra and dyno
plus it should be relatively easy to police since most bikes coming from that area are no longer american made and it seems to be easy to notice

1990 is probably a good cutoff although i have no idea how we'd police that. I think we're all saavy enough to spot a retail store bike but date checking might be difficult. Open to any suggestions.
[QUOTENew
1990 is probably a good cutoff although i have no idea how we'd police that. I think we're all saavy enough to spot a retail store bike but date checking might be difficult.
Open to any suggestions.

Not sure when you guys are planning, but if you have not done it by the WBO slot of Jan 1st - Apr 1st 2018 (Eeeek, that is a long ways away) remind me and we might make that the 'semi' official WBO of the year...

Already filled the 2017 slot with the 'Unfinished Builds Class'...

Luke.

Who has unfinished builds?
Correction: No bike is ever finished, you can always rebuild or super-detail.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

What about just calling it a "modern" build off? 1990s-now, I was planning on redoing an Electra Rat Rod I picked up last month, not so much a "big box" bike, but if that meets you guy's criteria, I'm in. If not guess I'll go hit the scratch and dent at WallyWorld because this sounds fun.

Dept Store Schwinn I use for long cruises, had to replace pretty much everything but the frame since they just don't build'em like they used to...
IMG_6089.JPG

I like the Idea of an IROC type of build off.
iroc-racing.jpg

See: http://www.superchevy.com/features/1407-the-history-of-iroc-racing-never-before-seen-photos/
Basically everyone starts off with same bike and mods it. The Swindler would be an awesome choice but they just upped the price $50 and availability to worldwide competitors would be tough.
The lowly pacific cycles built "Huffy Cranbrook" seems to be almost everywhere and if your into gender change is available new at the Mallwart bigbox for $79!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Huffy-Women-s-Cranbrook-Cruiser-Bike-Ocean-Blue/49058111
79 girls 26 huffy.jpg

If there ever was a bike in need of make over:rofl:
(at least it's got wide whitewalls - and pink rims!)

just picked this up for dirt cheap, still had the instruction manual taped to it, I'd be into this build if it starts sooner, winter is here, I'm bored and it won't last long being stock haha
1kulana.jpg

My wife did this Cranbrook this fall. All her design. I helped a little with the mechanical bits.

Latest posts

Back