Barn fresh Elgin Blue Bird NEW PICS pg8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Barn fresh Elgin Blue Bird

vwnthusiast said:
it does make you cry, but would the value and rarity be there if a lot were around :oops:

Probably not but they would still be cool and maybe I could find one and wouldn't feel inclined to sell it. :)

Flame Jigger said:
vwnthusiast said:
it does make you cry, but would the value and rarity be there if a lot were around :oops:

Probably not but they would still be cool and maybe I could find one and wouldn't feel inclined to sell it. :)

you should never feel inclinded to sell it :wink:

vwnthusiast said:
oldrider said:
Another reason we see such a shortage of pre war bikes is that tons of them were melted down for the war cause in the early 40s. Someone on another vintage bike forum posted a photo of hundreds of bikes that were lined up to be melted down, I dang near cried.....

it does make you cry, but would the value and rarity be there if a lot were around

anywho... i feel MAJORLY stupid.. but.. can someone take me to school for a second ab this bike and why its so valuable, etc? :oops:

Simply put it's valuable because it is one of the best looking bikes of all time. Because of that fact a lot of people want this bike, value is always determined by simple "Supply and Demand".

Supply is low because back in it's day it was $45 to buy one which may not sound like much but that'd be like $1,000+ for a bike now so there were not many kids that were lucky enough to get this bike. Then of those few made and bought, some were melted down for wartime scrap drives :cry: , of those remaining few there are some that rusted away to nothing :cry: , of those still surviving VERY few are still in one piece and all original. Of those VERY VERY VERY few left you have one! That is how lucky you are right now.

Demand is high because as stated before there are a lot of people that would sell their soul to get this bike. I mean you got 9 pages and counting of people drooling over it here.........lol. You could probably charge $50 a pop to let us ride it around the block and you'd have all of us lined up and waiting.

vwnthusiast said:
oldrider said:
Another reason we see such a shortage of pre war bikes is that tons of them were melted down for the war cause in the early 40s. Someone on another vintage bike forum posted a photo of hundreds of bikes that were lined up to be melted down, I dang near cried.....

it does make you cry, but would the value and rarity be there if a lot were around

anywho... i feel MAJORLY stupid.. but.. can someone take me to school for a second ab this bike and why its so valuable, etc? :oops:
These bikes are rare because only made around 2000 and probably only a 10th of them are still out there. back in 1936 this bike was around $50 one of the most expensive things in the sears catalog. so only the very rich bought these bikes for there kids. and it is one of the most sought after bikes around in the collectors eyes. That is why I think this bike is so valuable these days.

Thanks underskirtscustom for better explaining The Rarity and the value of the bike. we most of posted at the same time. I would not charge to ride this sweet bike I would love to share the experience to ride the blue bird with everyone.

npence said:
Thanks for better explaining The Rarity and the value of the bike. we most of posted at the same time. I would not charge to ride this sweet bike I would love to share the experience to ride the blue bird with everyone.

underskirtscustom.............I might have to change my screen name now...... :mrgreen:

It is an awesome bike, I'd charge a deposit but give the money back at the end of the ride. Just to ensure it's only around the block. But even if you did charge I'm sure people from here would line up for a mile! I know I would!

Just out of curiousity..........would it be fair to say theres less then 25 in ridable shape known to exist?? I count only 4 that I know of!

Markm said:
uh...underskirt????????????? :mrgreen:
:oops: I think my girl just got an :idea: be back later......maybe

outskirtscustoms said:
npence said:
Thanks for better explaining The Rarity and the value of the bike. we most of posted at the same time. I would not charge to ride this sweet bike I would love to share the experience to ride the blue bird with everyone.

underskirtscustom.............I might have to change my screen name now...... :mrgreen:

It is an awesome bike, I'd charge a deposit but give the money back at the end of the ride. Just to ensure it's only around the block. But even if you did charge I'm sure people from here would line up for a mile! I know I would!
Sorry outskirtscustoms for the name change. :oops:

npence said:
outskirtscustoms said:
npence said:

Sorry outskirtscustoms for the name change. :oops:

It's okay, we all got a good laugh from it. Thanks for the inspiration too.....lol.

oldrider said:
Just out of curiousity..........would it be fair to say theres less then 25 in ridable shape known to exist?? I count only 4 that I know of!
I'm not sure, there might be some hiding that are yet to be discovered. No one really knows. But I'd say that would be a close estimate, possibly more, possibly less.

Wow looks even better with the tires.
If there was an award for find of the year this would win hands down.
What a thrill it must have been when you first laid eyes on it!!

Yes!!! this IS the most beautiful bike I've ever seen! If you ever take it apart all I want is a scale drawing of the frame and fork. I'd love to make one. Kind of like using a Bug chassis to make a speedster :roll: Cheers to you man! enjoy your new ride! Lets see some video...

WOW great find,,very nice cool orig,,best find i think since the 12 bowden bicycles i found last year here in pittsburgh pa,,,,what are you going to do with it,,and if you dont mind what kind of great deal did you get it for,,,,anyways great for you,,,sometimes it just pays off to go looking,, 412 716 4956 craig,,maybe a trade in mind,,good luck on your great find,,

Let me chime in and say great find... We all envy you! Keep us up to date on the progress of the bike... or just take new monthly pictures of it and post them so we can all drool..... :shock:

garagegoon said:
Let me chime in and say great find... We all envy you! Keep us up to date on the progress of the bike... or just take new monthly pictures of it and post them so we can all drool..... :shock:

Im for also. 8)

Latest posts

Back