Bare Metal Build Off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been working on a bare metal project, it's a '60 Schwinn that I've turned into a trail bike. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

A little progress. Using a one speed hub on heavy duty wheels and 26 x 3 tires. Did this mockup, still have to fab up the dropouts. Waiting on the seat stem and possibly a different seat. The cranks may be in a slightly different spot depending on clearance with the front tire. Also need to fab up the new bottom bracket. If the chain doesn't clear, I've got an idea to take care of that. And of course, everything needs stripped. I found a place that'll sandblast for 25 or 35 bucks, or I could wire wheel for a day. I'll try oven cleaner first.

5xiiye.jpg

Dang! The frame has some bad pitting right where I was going to attach the extra bottom bracket. So, that aspect is canned for now. I used paint stripper and it worked ok, but the rasp wheel on the drill works much better.
I'll finish it up tomorrow on my day off and instead of clearcoat, I'll wax it down a few times.

2vl09xg.jpg

I have a bare metal project that I've just started back working on. However the frameset was bare when I got the bike. But I'm just now loading it up with bare metal parts and accessories. Is it ok for me to join in? Having the frameset already bare seems a bit of an unfair advantage, but I'm seriously going all bare with this and the different levels of patina on the parts will add some contrast.

heyslugger said:
jackdaw said:
Those are some great parts Wildcat, can't wait to see what it finishes out like. I'm havin' fun!

chuff-mock2.jpg

This is a beautiful thing right here.

Why thank you very much! It's good to hear. My build is here-

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=47113

I'm having alot of fun and the bike is in the final stretch.

Ozzmonaut, the more the merrier!!

I've got a couple extra vacation days to take before the end of the year, so I'm still gonna shoot for the end of November. I was going to go ahead and post some pics of my starting point but the camera went dead on the second picture. I'll get them up later tonight with pics of the tank I'm working on for this.

I've got foot surgery coming up, so I figured I better get some work done. I'm using a pair of Lightning Darts instead of the Kendas, and I pulled a Wald crank and sprocket off the donor bike that I'm using for the scooter build off. No wear on the bearings at all, a girl's bike. I don't have any idea how to finish the scooter build yet. I also scrapped the HD wheels and 1 speed for a Sachs Torpedo 3 speed w coaster and plain front wheel. The old steel seat also was changed out for my Brooks saddle, but the seat post had to be shoved into the seat frame to get a decent angle. I threw it together for a quick look, not the handlebars I'll finish with, and I still have one or two things to add, like a tank of some kind. I have a good set of pedals somewhere also.

2n86f7.jpg

291hx02.jpg

2uixe8i.jpg

t8sqcl.jpg

I was just thinking I should have started a build thread, but it's almost done, so I'll just keep adding to this. I added handlebars and grips, pedals and a yellow band 2 speed just to see how it would do. I like the way it rides, so a 2 speed it will be, just can't use the same tire, it's an S-7 wheel. And I have to clean up the rim, it has beige paint on it. Then I still have to decide what kind of tank, I'm leaning toward a brass sign. I also put my CW bell on. I'm done for at least a week, having foot surgery tomorrow. Almost forgot, I've got a chrome front fender that might do as a rear fender for this.

25tw8yo.jpg

rvepo6.jpg

15plw7r.jpg

Latest posts

Back