Bare Metal Build Off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Anyone up for a bare metal build off?

Your bike will just have to show some bare metal somehow.

Should do all naked build. The bike that is. No paint. Well clear should go on the non alloy parts.

I've got a tank I wanted to use that has the original paint. Other than that, my build would have everything bare metal. If there's enough interest to get a build off going.

I'd like to start building at the beginning of Sept. and finish up by the end of November at the latest.

I'm going to a bike show this Saturday. If I return with anything worth stripping then I'm in. Also, "no welding" was mentioned. What if the frame is missing something like fender stays? Can we weld some in where they originally were?

I didn't think this was going anywhere. It's just me and you in this? if so, welding is ok by me.

If I'm setting the rules, you can have anything you want. As long as something is bare metal that usually isn't bare metal. I didn't think this was going to happen, now I better get going!

Here's the frame I'm going to use. I sure hope the original paint doesn't look good under there.

15ozeh5.jpg

Here's the plan:

1. Add an extra BB, suggested by someone. A Huffy will supply the extra BB, no welding if I can make it work.

zj84ud.jpg

2. Snyder spiral sprocket.

3. The beehive springer will be stretched forward to make room for the cranks. After it's stripped to bare metal, spring and all.

4. 3 speed SA w coaster heavy duty wheelset. They might be bare metal or painted.

5. Hunk of some kind of metal for a tank.

6. WF rear rack, also stripped to bare metal.

I still have to work out the bottom bracket mounting plan and get handlebars and seat. I also need a seat stem that will fit this frame.

Ok I'll make this official if anyone is in.

Who is in? I don't want to wind up with just 2 again, like the folder build off.

I'm set to get cutting and sanding, but I'm holding off until we have a committed group.

Great looking Bike!

I'm going to withdraw my challenge, not enough interest, and there's an anything goes build off. I'm going to do this build there, it may not be bare metal after all.

Latest posts

Back